• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Blood in Stools :-(

I'm sorry to hear that you've discovered --after the fact-- that your puppy comes from a breeder who wasn't very concerned about your dog's health. Is this your first dog?

Definitely check out the literature that's available. While nothing can be specific to you, you can learn a great deal about what's normal/average to expect from a puppy at different stages. They can also give you tips on how to interact with your puppy so that it grows up with manners and basic obedience.

Since your puppy is so very young--think of a human infant -- you will have to be very careful and constantly on watch. You have to make up for the fact it is missing out on important lessons from its mother and siblings.

As far as house-training, with a puppy this little you can start the principles, but it will be months before your dog can be considered trustworthy on its own (others might say a whole year!). Think about a human infant and how long it can go without relieving itself and needing a diaper changed. Cav puppies have even smaller bladders than some human infants, so you will probably want to take your puppy out every 15 minutes or so. Especially watch for signs of sniffing and circling. Also, after eating, sleeping and playing your puppy will probably need to go outside. At night time, your puppy can go longer because the body's mechanics slow down during sleep, but the puppy still won't be able to hold it all night. Generally, a puppy will need to go outside at least once or twice every night. At this age, you're looking at several weeks of night-time outings. It's important to take the dog out, too; if not, you'll be setting your house-training back each time the dog has an indoor accident.

There's a lot to know about raising a little puppy, so definitely start reading up ASAP!! Good luck!

Cathryn, that's barbaric. how would the vet like his finger or toe nails clipped off, even if he's only a few days old. The nails may be softer then, but the nerves are intact.

Both my Cavs have their dew claws intact. Bentley has one rear dew claw, too.

I trim them just as I do all other nails. It's no problem at all.

My Golden has his dew claws, too. My English Springer had hers removed when she was tiny. Her breeder said he does it matter of course because they are hunting dogs. Poor things! Goldens are hunting dogs, too, but his breeder left them intact. Seems like it must be very painful removing them. :(

Back