• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Desexing

selina

Jeremy is getting desexed on Friday. Now he has hit the old testosterone and I have a goldy in season I thought it was time. I dont want him mating with my golden retrievers and they both seem adamant that this is going to happen. You all may be thinking well how can he reach? well she lies down for him. Its pretty funny to watch the antics. I am so glad he hasnt got the idea of where to put it yet. He thinks her head is a pretty good place to try. Hahaha

Izzy was like that, but I wouldn't risk them getting together, as he may just cotton. The offspring could be an absolute disaster, due to the size difference.

Some years ago there was tv footage of a Great Dane sitting in a Rolls Royce. However, when he was let out , he was seemn to be a bassett with a Dane's head. The bassett had mated his dane mother, while she was lying down.

Yeah the mating could be a disaster. But dont worry all seperated now unless under strict supervision. It will be such a relief when I dont have to worry about it any more.

Glad you're keeping them separated. Although I would keep them separated even if you are closely supervising them. Never underestimate how quick a breeding can happen or what the two will do to make it happen. Can't confirm it, but I once heard of a mating that happened through a chain link fence :yikes

And you are right, it's something to see when an in season female gets around a male, even a male that has been neutered. The courtship and flirting is really something to see!

Oh yes, matings can happen in a jiffy :yikes The lady we sometimes stay with in West Wales has a lovely little dog 'Oscar'. Oscar came from a local farm and his mum was the farmers JRT. His dad was a local black labrador that wandered into the farmhouse one day & was shooed out seconds later.... Five enormous puppies and one extortionate vet bill later, the mum was eventually OK but it almost killed her!

Weird thing is, from the rear view, Oscar actually looks like a tricolour Cavalier but when you get closer you can see he is coarse haired and his head looks like a Westie or similar. He is completely adorable though :flwr:

And yes, don;t underestimate his ability to do the business despite size difference! he will know just what to do if he gets the chance and the time to figure it out. As Bruce says, keep them TOTALLY separated.

Although the chain link fence is INCREDIBLY impressive, a male dog will leap buildings to get to a female. It takes only seconds and when they lock up, there is no going back.

My neighbor's dog was in season and had the little panties on to keep her from making a mess and they thought this should be enough coverage + supervision. Yeah right. Unnuetered male slipped right through the tail hole and they locked up. :yikes 63 days later there were little mutts running around.

Don't forget also that he will still be fertile for a few months after the op too...

Bruce, I've heard about dogs mating through chain link fences too...and baby gates, and even cages with well spaced bars!!! :yikes

I know they can be pretty determined...

jeez louise !!!!

I'm new to this whole world, talk about determined little buggars.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but here goes:

Does the female get pregnant everytime?

Joanne, you can guarantee if it's an accidental mating then yes :lol:

Sometimes though, breeders spend an absolute mint on fertility tests and stud fees for the bitch to miss every time :(

OFF TOPIC for me but this is interesting to me too!

OK so if you breed your female but she doesn't end up getting pregnant do you still have to pay the stud fees?!

There is a dog at Battersea that is across between a Basset and a Rottweller a basset body and a roottwellers head were theres a will theres a way---Aileen

arasara said:
OFF TOPIC for me but this is interesting to me too!

OK so if you breed your female but she doesn't end up getting pregnant do you still have to pay the stud fees?!

Generally, you get a free return service if the girl doesn't get pregnant the first time.

I can see how that can get really expensive especially if the stud is quite a ways away.. .. ..

Thanks Bruce :flwr:

Hey guys its okay they are completely seperated. I guess I didnt really look at what I wrote, sorry. I know how quick it can happen. I had a bitch that was two weeks over her season and I took her in to be desexed as I had just aquired her just as she came in so couldnt do it during her cycle. And my boy had got her pregnant. The vet reckoned that they were only 3 or 4 days old. So now I keep my guys seperated for 6 weeks instead of the usual 4 just in case.

:updte: Well its done now. He was a bit groggy last night and a bit sore this morning but otherwise quite happy in himself. I asked whether he is still fertile and they said no. I just have to keep him away from anyone in season until his stitches come out so that he doesnt pull them. Thought you might like to know that everyone so you dont have to stress about keping your dog seperated for to long if you have bitches in season that is. :D

Back