• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

do all dogs wee when excited????

ruby2

Do all dogs wee when excited. If ruby is out the back and i go out to the washing line. Or if my mother comes to visit, when she goes to rub ruby she will very often wee with the excitement. I went to the wash line a few minutes ago. She had been lying on the grass on a blanket and when she came over to me she wee'd a little. I could see it on her when she turned over for me to rub her belly. I then just went back to hanging out my washing and saw her go off then and do a proper wee. She doesnt do the little stance...if you know what i mean. With the little down position unless she is doing a proper wee. The wee just seems to come with excitement. I can't think that there is anything wrong with her, as in an infection or anything, as she is brilliant besides that and no accidents inside.. Is it normal????:blabla:.....

Last edited:
It sounds like submissive peeing. Cockers are notorious for having this, and I've definitely heard of it in Cavaliers, too. Daisy did it once when my friend came over to our house and we were not home. (She was going to start dogsitting for us that weekend and we had to leave for our trip before she got to our house.) Daisy was very excited to meet her (as she is with all strangers) and probably a little bit scared, too, since she'd never met my friend before and I wasn't there with her.

The best thing is to tell your mom not to look at her right away, and definitely not to talk to her in a high pitched excited voice. Let the dog come to her and don't make a big deal of the greeting. Our friend had a cocker who would literally walk/wiggle all over the room, peeing every step of the way if a stranger came in and talked to her right away. If you ignored her for the first several minutes, she would usually be okay.

Is submissive weeing then that she is afraid?????

Im wondering how could she be scared of me??

When i went out to clothes line she wee'd. Is it excitement or afraid??

The Daschund puppy we have at the moment,he wees when i go down to him in the morning.Hes all exited.

Suki used to do this but only when one particular person approached her - i've heard that if a dog does this then anyone approaching them shouldn't stand over them or pat their heads as this makes it more likely they will do a submissive wee, instead they should stroke under the chin. I think i remember this rightly but can't be 100% sure

This is as others say, probably submission peeing. It generally indicates an overly submissive dog but can just be lack of bladder control in very young puppies. They often, but not always, grow out of it.

This is an excellent article on what to do and what it is:

http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/submissive urination.htm

Here's an excerpt but be sure to read through the whole document:

Dogs that submissively urinate expect that their behavior will stop "threats" from humans, but well meaning humans continue leaning over, petting, and trying to comfort these dogs as they would another person. Dogs see this as a continued threat rather than a comforting gesture. Punishing these dogs will only exacerbate the situation. A typical scenario is the owner who is frustrated because his dog urinates on the carpet every time he comes home. Believing that he has "caught the dog in the act," the owner scolds or otherwise punishes the dog for what he believes is a housebreaking lapse. Thus a dog that is already intimidated and trying to say with its only "words" that it respects the owner's authority is met with further threats, resulting in more frequent and intense displays of submission.

Excitement Urination

Excitement urination, a variation of the submissive form, usually occurs during greetings (see Case Examples, Case 1). Dogs with this behavior often do not show other signs of submission. Instead, they seem happy and excited to be greeted by humans. These are the puppies that urinate when greeted and then wag their tails and jump on humans, splashing urine all over.

Back