• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dylan's never ending visits to the vet.

Glad Dylans eyes are a bit better. I guess the cream you are putting in is helping keep at bay the yellow "gunk" that can develop with dry eye. So it still may be a possibility he has it but as many have commented it can be sorted and controlled. Hope you get a more helpful diagnosis next time you go to the Vet. Good Luck

Having slightly pink eyes isn't necessarily a concern. All my dogs can get like this by the end of the day -- just like some people get reddish eyes by the end of a day, especially if they've been out in wind. I think you really need to confirm with a vet that this is actually an issue. The dry eye test is simple. I wouldn't be putting lots of medicated creams into a the eyes if there is no need to do so. It may just be a little saline would make him more comfortable and that the pinkishness is absolutely normal. None of what you are describing sounds very unusual to me for a large eyed breed. Some of mine get some gunk in eyes in the morning and some have nothing so this may not really be a gauge of much of anything.

On vaccines -- keep in mind that the standard vet school recommendation is only every three years anyway, excepting lepto. I would definitely NOT give a dog with SM annual boosters -- absolutely, positively not; there is simply no point to give ANY dog annual boosters and definitely not a dog that already has its health defences under daily pressure. If you are concerned about even every three years then talk to your vet about doing a titre as you may not even need them that often.

Thanks Karlin. Do you think the vet will have this test at the surgery or will I have to give them some warning? It costs £23 for a consult at my vets so I want to get this all done in one session. I let him have lepto every year and the others every other year. So it's been 2 years since he them.

Pauline, ugh, you just are always dealing with something with poor Dylan!
I agree with Karlin about the pink eyes. Bandit, especially gets bloodshot eyes when he is tired or has been out in the wind. I do clean his face around his eyes and rinse his eyes with saline if they look irritated in case they have pollen, dust or something irritating them. You might try that with Dylan.

Dry eye

Hope Dylan's eyes are better
Dry eye (Keratoconjunctivitis sicca) is so common in the Cavalier. Having conjunctivitis / needing eye medicaiton so commonly is very suspicious for this. Every vet should be able to do a test for dry eye (Schirmer tear test) however even if normal (and it can be normal in borderline cases) if you keep on having problems then it is worth having a trial of the liscensed medication (optimmune) becasue catching it now can make it easier to treat in the long run
best wishes - Scrumpymum :paw:

I phone the vet today to make sure they have the tear test in for my appointment tomorrow. She said yes, and it's a very simple test. Cheap is all I'm interested in! Spoke it over with Margaret last night and realised that actually it might be covered by insurance as all the other times we were treating conjunctivitis. I'd say it was only this weekend I suspected dry eye, especially as it cleared up over night and we were on the sea front which would be a bit breezy. I'm not worried as his eyes look fine otherwise so if they are dry, I'd say only slightly. Margaret suggested washing them after each walk and I think that the best idea.

So we have the vet for boosters and tear test tomorrow.

Thanks for all your advice.

Back