• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Escape artist!!

Yvonne117

At first I thought I was being careless, then going mad but no I had not forgotten to lock Alfies crate last night, I put him in shut the door pulled across the latch and went into the bathroom. Lo and behold Alfie is right behind me, back I went put him back in went to leave looked back and watched him push the lock across with his paw. A fluke? No, 6 am this morning he again let himself out. We are now trying to alter the latch to make it more secure and have renamed Alfie Houdini.

Welcome Alfie to the Houdini Club!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cavaliers are sooo clever!

He watched you and reversed the motion....simple! ;D

Teddy can get out of an up and over doored crate in a few seconds. he hasn't sussed the bolted one, yet, but give him time. Could you put a small padlock on one of the bolts ? Others have done this.

Pepper can open crates from the outside (with a latch that is not just a straight bolt but has that extra curve on the end for extra "security")...he figured it out because he was determined to get into his crate to drag his bed out, which we didn't want him to do, and he just kept working on it until he figured out just the right angle for sliding and pulling. He can do it as a matter of routine now. However, he has not yet done it from the inside!!!

Have you watched to see how he is going it?

I think a carabiner clipped onto the door would do the trick.

We watched and he just flicks the bolt across and up at the same time til it opens. Hubby thinks he can bend the bolt slightly to make it tighter, fingers crossed. The only problem now he knows it opens when I put him in again last night he also barked whilst trying to open it. Luckily my neighbours are on holidays for 5 weeks so I can leave him to bark for a while without rushing to him in case he disturbs them. He does make us laugh even though he is so mischievious.

Little monkey, bet life's never got a dull moment with him around :lol:

Maxx is my naughty one, he kept going on the garden and trampling the flowers so hubby built raised borders. No problems - he just jumped into them :roll: So.... hubby built cane fences to go round them - he went under them or in between them!

Now, hubby has surrounded them with chicken wire until the shrubs mature enough not to be wrecked and Maxx is stumped - he sits there complaining and huffing at them :lol:

These dogs are born entertainers :lol:

Maxxs_Mummy said:
Little monkey, bet life's never got a dull moment with him around :lol:

Maxx is my naughty one, he kept going on the garden and trampling the flowers so hubby built raised borders. No problems - he just jumped into them :roll: So.... hubby built cane fences to go round them - he went under them or in between them!

Now, hubby has surrounded them with chicken wire until the shrubs mature enough not to be wrecked and Maxx is stumped - he sits there complaining and huffing at them :lol:

These dogs are born entertainers :lol:

Uh oh, I spoke too soon. Maxx has figured a way to get through the trellis fence at the side of the border and now sits behind the chicken wire wagging his tail at me :roll:

I was laughing so much when I saw him last night that I took a pic on my phone and sent it to hubby who is away at the minute. I asked if he was cross and he replied 'How can I be cross with him when he's so clever and looks so funny?' - Another one he has wrapped round his paw :lol:

Hope you've solved AlfieHoudini's escapology adventures Yvonne ;) :flwr:

Back