• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Getting toooooo hyper after dinnertime

GraciesMom

Gracie has almost always been more energetic after dinnertime than any other time of day. But we have had some post-dinner spurts 2-3 nights a week where she runs around like a maniac! And gets so wound up sometimes that she may spit up a tad of dinner (never alot). The episodes involve running at warp speed room to room and up and down stairs like a bullet unless we can confine her to one room fast. Sometimes we are already playing with her when it starts....and sometimes not. Not an activity pattern that we can find. Also does not seem to matter if she played a lot that day or not. She gets same food and quantity every night so not a change in diet. She gets very rare treats and eats a balanced raw diet with limited carbs. These episodes most seem related to time of day and dinner...so maybe a blood sugar thing?? My hubby also notices that when this happens she can get a kind of wild look in her eyes but tail is wagging until she sees we will not play with her during these frantic modes. Then she looks mad at us and brows are furrowed. I know she wants to play but just seems like she is getting overly frenetic. Do others have anything like this happen? Any ideas what may be going on?

I don't know what's causing her burst of energy after dinner, but I would suggest you channel it by taking her out for a walk. Clancy at that age needed to be walked twice a day (even though we had a huge fenced in yard), or he would make his own fun (which usually involved cat chasing at midnight).

The Zoomies

Ha, ha, we call these "the zoomies." Our two dogs get the zoomies once or twice each day, and chase each other madly around the couch - or the bigger circle through the living room, hallway and kitchen. They are at their happiest - and wildest - when they have the zoomies. Great exercise!

Whew... did take her for walk about 30 minutes after dinner....

And it was better. We do not have another dog for her to "zoomie" with but starting to look.... just not there yet.

It's normal dog behaviour :). Dogs are actually categorised as 'crepuscular' -- they are most active first thing in the morning and around early evening/dusk. If you are feeding in the evening, then this is overlapping when she gets a sudden burst of energy.

It's bets to wait an hour or so before walking dogs after a meal, to prevent any risk of bloat -- which can be fatal. It affects deep chested dogs more than others, and larger breeds generally, but it is always wise to wait a while for them to digest a bit. Walking before a meal is a good time for a very long walk to work out that energy she wants to expend at that time of day.

Good point to wait longer for walk...

Just wish Gracie would not get hyper right after dinner. I do think we are seeing more of this now because she is still getting B12 shots and eating better. Fuels her energy bursts!

Back