• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Glucosamine question

stromboy84

I'm thinking about putting my cav on glucosamine. Can I give him glucosamine pills that are marketed towards humans? Isn't it the same stuff? I seem to be able to find it much cheaper when it's the human stuff. Thanks!

I get one aimed at dogs. I do have plenty of friends with big dogs sho use the human capsules of glucosamine, but if you think how much smaller than you your Cavalier is, should he get the same daily dose as you?
You can get glucosamine supplements for dogs cheaper on-line, but I do believe it is something that you get the quality you pay for. I'm not sure of the quality of some of the cheaper human brands, so don't take those myself (I do take glucosamnie for my own joints), so probably wouldn't go for the cheapest brand for my dogs.

Just my opinion. This is a subject you could ask your vet about, without making a comittment to buying from them.

Check out some of the premium dry dogfoods.Many of them have glucosamine already added, makes life a lot easier!
Sins

The orthopedic surgeon that Oliver saw for his bulging discs in his back said that human glucosamine/chondroitin is fine. I buy Oliver's at Walgreen's. I do have to check for the lowest dosage but am able to find it. It's a big pill so I put it in a Pill Pocket and he eats it right up (actually swallows it whole is more like it).

Its exactly the same stuff and you cant overdose, my vet who treats his own dogs the same way (springers) said its the cheapest way to do it.
try and get them mixed, you should have, glucosamine hcl 300mg, msm or green lipped muscle extract 200mg, and chondroitin sulphate 75mg
these are minimum amounts for dogs and he said YOU CANNOT OVERDOSE.
Its hard to find the right amounts though, some tablets have twice the amount of chondroitin and too little msm, you can buy them individual but it works out expensive that way. di

yes some foods do, arden grange light contains some, heres the ingrediants for arden grange light (hypoallergenic)

http://www.ardengrange.com/full-ingredients-glossary.asp

it contains all three products not sure if what amount though, so i give him a tablet once a day in addition, by the way he does have bad hip dyplasia and on the advice of my vet. He told me to source them online as its cheaper than getting them from him, and not to worry about the dosage as you cant overdose.

Getting the dosage right for mine means they don't get runny bottoms afterwards. If I increase the dosage ( whatever make of tablets) then it affects their output. Strange dogs I know.

I get it from Holland and barratt and managed to find 200mg glucosamine and 200mg cod liver oil which i allternate day by day.
My vet said the same that you cant overdose as the body takes what it needs and they pee the rest out. its done wonders for the Lux Patella as it hasnt popped since I started on the supplements and the hydrotherepy!!
you can get the 2 in a combined pack which is 300mg in the same store.

Karen and Ruby xx

My dog takes the human pills each morning. I get the chalky ones, not the gelcaps, and she has no problem with them. She'll even take it by itself if I want her to, but I just put it in with her food. My vet recommended them for her patella luxations and said I can get doggy pills if I want but that the human ones work just the same. I buy whatever is the largest, cheapest bottle at Walmart; the dosage is 2/day for a human, and she gets 1/day. Hope this helps!

Both my vet and my nutritionist friend have told me that the glucosamine contained in dog food is not at therapeutic levels so I get Mindy's from the vet in liquid form. Since she is so small it lasts forever and isn't that expensive. I used to buy human form for our golden (who weighed 100 pounds).

Back