• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Guess what?

Thelly, bless you for giving this dear little guy a loving home where he doesn't need to fear that preying little hands won't seek him out and hurt him when his owner is not supervising. I just know from your post that he is going to be so happy and content. I am sure he will show his appreciation of your selflessness by rewarding your love in true Cavalier fashion. I would love to have been in a position to have taken him, but now it's a truly good feeling knowing he has landed in a safe and stress -free environement. People like you are truly special individuals.

Wow, Thelly you are truly amazing......thank you for just being you. Judy and Dixie

I find it very odd, but my Toby also reacts very badly to little children. His breeder did not have any, and I don't have any, so in his whole 2 years of life, he simply, in my opinion, doesn't know what they are.

He has now seen 2 of them (I feel like I am talking about aliens LOL) and he lunges and barks at them, but has not even come close to biting or hurting them. Ummm he also barks his head off at anyone who comes in the house, or makes a noise outside, or, heaven forbid, has the nerve to walk around in their own yard next door.

In other words, Toby is just a barker and very protective. I have no fear whatsoever that he would ever bite anyone. He is just a big bag of wind, all bark and no bite.

The only Cavalier who has bitten me is my old man, Max. And he only did it because,
1. I was feeding him out of my hand, and he goes crazy about food
2. I hurt him picking him up when he had an anal abscess.

This is a topic on which I feel very strongly. This is not an area in which a responsible rescue person ever takes a chance.

Any dog that lunges at children needs to be kept well away from children, full stop. Not simply because you would never know whether a dog doing this would bite -- in which case that would be the end of your dog in most cases, so who would ever risk such an outcome -- but also because a lunging, growling, barking dog of ANY size is absolutely terrifying to most kids and many adults. There is also nothing more enfuriating than owners saying, 'Oh he's fine, he's just all bark'. Even if he is all bark, this experience can be very upsetting to the person targetted.

If a dog is highly reactive, it needs training to deal with this, and/or to be managed in such a way that it isn't placed into situations where it will encounter children (eg not walked in public places and muzzled on walks). If people wonder why kids end up with a lifelong terror of dogs, an experience with a reactive dog, even if it is all bark, is one typical reason. :(

I already know of a cavalier that was placed into the wrong situation recently by someone else trying to do rescue, was reactive and nipped, and was pts because an adult insisted. On the flip side, a cavalier on its hind legs is well able of reaching a toddler's face. Even a cute cavalier has, as one dog trainer has written, a mouth full of the equivalent of carpet knives.

Neither situation, or the possibility of it arising, is acceptable in my book. Hence I temperament test every cavalier when there's any question of issues, and never place a reactive dog into a foster or permanent home with children.

Back