• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Head trauma

Soushiruiuma

We were playing fetch at the park and I kicked a tennis ball that flew straight into Guinness' face. It was pretty close range, maybe 5-10 feet.

We're back home now, he's got the eye he got hit in squinted (but not completely shut). I gave him sone treats, and he seems to be in good spirits. He had some previcox the vet prescribed him a few weeks ago that he didnt take, I went ahead and gave him one of those to help with the inflammation.

I'm just worried that I might have really injured his eye.

What should I be doing/watching for?

Oh goodness poor wee fellow :( and poor you, you must be feeling awful.

I think I would take him in to get it checked over just in case - eyes are just too risky to leave...

if he's still squinting then it's sore, it's going to be badly bruised at the very least and might swell up. Put a cool damp flannel up against it to try to reduce the swelling.

I'd be wary of giving him anything without speaking to your vet first.

I did a search on google and I would take to vet. Said that it could cause bruising etc. It probably is nothing but much better to be safe. It can possibly scratch eye etc. Worth a trip if anything to ease your mind

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Alright, we called the vet. He'll go in tomorrow for a look at the eye. They said it's unlikely his retina detached (my concern), and that the worst that probably happened is some corneal scratching. We both took a nap to recover, so we're feeling better.

I agree that it's definitely worth a vet check. Vet will stain eye to check for corneal abrasions, etc. This happened to one of my retrievers years ago with a stick that bounced up and hit his eye. I never threw sticks again but used other objects for fetch.

Pat

Back