• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hello

My Maggie

I am new to this forum. I have two Cavaliers and they are an absolute joy in my life. Maggie is a black and tan 5 year old female, and Emma is a Blenheim 2 year old. They are as different as night and day. The reason I am here is to seek guidance for what my vet thinks is MVD. Maggie was going to have her teeth cleaned today. Before the procedure, my vet did a quick physical exam only to find a heart murmur that wasn't there 7 months ago. The murmur is a level 3. I am fortunate to live 20 minutes from the NCSU Vet School. Maggie will be seeing a cardiologist as soon as my vet can get me an appointment. If anyone has any advice for a very sad mom, I would love to hear it. Thanks

Hi, welcome to the forum. Sorry you're vet thinks your little girl has MVD, but he did the right thing in not putting her under anesthesia until he his sure of the diagnosis. Going to the cardiologist is the best first step as they are trained to hear murmurs better that your vet. A cardiologist will listen to her heart with a stethoscope and will most likely want to take an x-ray to see if her heart is enlarged and possibly an ultrasound. Depending on that the cardiologist sees and hears, Maggie may or may not need medication at this time, but just be closely watched. The other piece of advice is not to be sad. There are medications that can help Maggie live a full life. You can also go to this website which has lots of information on MVD and other health issues of our beloved cavaliers. Good luck and let us know what happens. http://www.cavalierhealth.org/mitral_valve_disease.htm#--_mild

Back