• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi folks: update on CavalierTalk going back live

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all:

As anyone signing up in recent years, or old members going online will know, this has been a largely inactive board for many years now. I stopped maintaining it at the point when Facebook as well as breed rescue work meant 1) far fewer people were using boards and 2) I was pretty overwhelmed with other things to do.

Another complication was not being able to find a working password for my account here  and more problematical, not being able to get into the Admin section to actually be able to update, maintain and administrate the board. I'd had plans for a major move to a completely new board software but then that company began to have its own issues and that too led to me mothballing things there... for what I thought would be a short while and turned into years!

I reissued a password for my personal board account, hence I can post and do some basic tasks here again. However I still need to resolve the admin issue which means hauling out an old PC that just might have the password saved in autocomplete. If that fails I will talk to the hosting service and the software help folks to see if I can retrieve things... if nothing else I can set up a fresh version of the board and archive this one is some way that still allows access. Newly signed up members though, cannot post as I need to permit new signups through the admin panel which I cannot access. So my apologies that you've also been mothballed for so long. 

Anyway hold tight.

Hope to get something off the ground in the coming weeks. It's been a long time since I tinkered with software though so may take me a while to get back up to speed.

Karlin

I'm happy to report that THE BOARD IS LIVE.

(...IT'S ALIVE!!!!! IT'S ALIVE!!!!)

I managed to sort my admin password and clean up some broken bits of the database and software, so that should stop error messages.

I've plans to update the board's software as well, which will involve closing the board for a few hours and migrating everything into place, and the result may look different from the current board but it will still be me, running CT. I hope some of our old stalwarts will be happy to return for more cavalier conversations, and that we'll welcome some new people!

I had some commissioned artwork done for the board as well, quite a while back, and am looking forward to integrating that too.

Anyway if you've dropped in, welcome, whether you are an existing member or a new registration. If you tried to register in recent years you may need to re-register as I could not differentiate easily between spam registrations and real people and had to delete out an overwhelming back-up of registrations. Sorry about that!

Karlin

I'm happy to report that THE BOARD I:paw:LIVE.

Karlin

Hi Karlin,

I want to thank you for such perfect timing reopening your old Cavalier forum because the day you reopened it on July 15, 2023, we put a deposit down on a cavalier puppy :l*v:

Hope there starts to be lots of puppy chatter and puppy pictures :paw:

Congrats and you must be busy preparing for the new arrival -- which is a lot of fun.

I'm already considering structures to streamline the forum a bit, and on my list is to have a dedicated puppy section.

Existing content won't be lost! After all we have many years of chat, ideas, concerns, advice, campaigns and history here on the forum, and I want that to remain accessible to all. But I'm looking forward to getting a new, cleaner (and more secure) format of the board up in the next few days. If anyone comes and encounters a 'forum closed' type of message, this is because I have to shut the forum completely in order to create the new database, upload the new board software and make sure it all migrates smoothly. Hopefully the shutdown will only be a couple of hours at most.

Fantastic to see the board back up and running......... hopefully catch up with some familiar folk, and meet some new ones😁🤝👍

Update on where I am now with the board:

* The software migration is done (after a bit of drama that took a few days to sort out, and some help from my handy computer programmer husband, who did some tricks that I would never have been able to do myself).
* While the software DID create new working links for pages from the last version of the board, many of the links in posts that refer to CavalierTalk content were made the version of the board before that, which had a completely different address format for pages (board.cavaliertalk.com rather than cavaliertalk.com/forums -- so the tool that updates links did not transfer those. So there will be lots of dead links. I will be working to update any that seem worth salvaging, when I can, and otherwise will try to remove such links completely).
* There remain a lot of forums underneath main headings, which I hope to consolidate further -- the Photo Gallery section in particular needs a lot of cleaning up and streamlining.
* I will work to write fresh documents on key cavalier issues on things like syringomyelia, large platelets, pancreatitis etc and create a training library and so on. I'll be able to set up a separate documents section for a cavalier knowledge base. This should make it much easier to get basic information.
* I haven't yet done anything on appearance, and we are on the default structure and colours for xenforo. Somewhere I have artwork for the top banner and a logo. And I've add-on software for tweaking the look of the forum. This will keep me busy for a while yet! But I hope to at least get the colours back to our cavalier-related format of white, cavalier red and black, over this weekend :).
* I want to make this a welcoming place for all dogs too so your other breeds and mixes have a home here too! As do cats! (my cavaliers and other dogs live with 5 cats and a lot of equines).
* Please do join in and post, respond to our new members and old, and our posts with questions -- I'd love to see some fresh content coming in from members! 😊
* Oh yes, I do have a folder with our old CavalierTalk specific emojis, like the dancing banana 😂 -- and I'll be uploading those this weekend, I hope!
* There's also a profile page option that I need to activate so you can do your own profiles -- as with so many things on this software, I need to figure out the right process for doing this and setting options and permissions. So many of these seemingly smallish things differ from the old board 😕 and it just takes a little time to make sure things are set up right.
* Keep in mind so, so much has changed in the years since this board was very active, pre-Facebook and other big social media sites. The technology has advanced for boards, the things people might want from a forum have moved along, research and knowledge of the breed has shifted, and perceptions of the breed have changed, too. There are now some great dedicated web pages and Facebook groups for cavaliers and breed matters, many run by friends who have been such important parts of the CavalierTalk community, and there are some excellent pro-active breed clubs. I'd hope to find ways for us to amplify each other and be part of the powerful benefits people and their dogs can get from online communities.

Please be patient as I continue to work on CavalierTalk in the coming days and weeks to make it bigger and better and inclusive! But please also dive in and post

Karlin

Brief update: if you've seen some very recent posts and conversations disappear, it's because I've confirmed these accounts are spam accounts and removed them. If you see a very new member posting or replying to a very old discussion and including a link in their post or in their signature, don't click on the link. You can always message me about any odd or suspicious posts, too.

I've now added an additional layer of protection which should further reduce these problems.

So glad to see you here! It took quite a bit of work to transfer it across to new software and it is still a work in progress but hope we'll slowly gather more of the old crowd and many new members too.

Back