• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How many of here show your little cavs?

Lozzy100

Hi i am just wondering how many of you guys show your pooches? i started my boy late he is 19 months old now and started showing him 6 months ago with my puppy girl Tia, kc has done quite well and won a few open shows, Tia has only just turned 6 months so is now ready to strutt her stuff in the ring, she is still very bouncy and puppylike which is to be expected, but for those who do show or have showed, can you give me any pointers in getting Tia a very lively puppy to walk nicely without acting like tiger on speed on the lead...lol

Cheers Loz x

Do you attend ring craft classes at all? otherwise a gentle obedience class will teach how to walk nicely on a lead, but mention to your instructor that you intend to show as heal work in obedience is quite different to show walking.

Alison.

Do you attend ring craft classes at all? otherwise a gentle obedience class will teach how to walk nicely on a lead, but mention to your instructor that you intend to show as heal work in obedience is quite different to show walking.

Alison.

Yes we belong to a ringcraft club :) kc is doing really well, would just like some pointers on puppys in the ring really.

I show Amber a little for fun, and plan to show little Star when she's old enough, but I've never showed a cavalier puppy yet. I know with my IGs, ring classes, taking them out alot, and just working with them has taught my IG puppies to walk nicely on the leash without bouncing - At first, go alot slower then you normally would, and reward her for just a few nice steps on the leash, and build from there. It's worked well on every IG I've done it with, so it should work with your cav as well!

I show Amber a little for fun, and plan to show little Star when she's old enough, but I've never showed a cavalier puppy yet. I know with my IGs, ring classes, taking them out alot, and just working with them has taught my IG puppies to walk nicely on the leash without bouncing - At first, go alot slower then you normally would, and reward her for just a few nice steps on the leash, and build from there. It's worked well on every IG I've done it with, so it should work with your cav as well!

Cheers hun i have started doing that, and she has been alot easier, but is very much like a spring...lol she will walk nicely on the lead and knows what heal means, but when she sees another doggy thats it she boings all over the place..LOL

Thanks for that will continue to do this with her x

That's a little different, if she's doing it because she's excited about other dogs, I'd work on the "watch me" and "look at that" games with her - A clicker will help you there, everytime she makes eye contact with you or looks at you, click and give her a treat. The "look at that" game is kind of the same idea, but you click when they look at another dog, which refocuses their attention because YOU are rewarding them for looking at the other dog and they have to turn their attention to you to get the treat. They usually catch on really quick to watch you instead of the other dogs, and if they're paying attention to you, they don't get as excited about other dogs!!! See if that works for you :)

Thanks hun, its amazeing really how the simple things you just dont think of, i use a clicker in training, like with the sit etc and that worked a treat will practise it with the other areas of her training now...she is such a cutie and does catch on really quickly.

Will let you know how she does, and do a vid clip of it x

Back