• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I'm a nervous wreck!

Now I know I have reason to be a nervous wreck! And not from the results of the scan as I would have presumed, but from the effects of the anesthetic on Megan.

After her MRI she developed terrible acid burn to her esophagus and intestines and has been in and out of the vets ever since. I did collect her last Thursday after she spent the night in 'hospital' and she started to improve. But had a terrible night on Friday, when not vomiting bile was basically dripping out her mouth. After telephonic discussions with the vet I was to take all water away (she was not to let anything pass her lips) and be at the vet Saturday morning.

He booked her in again and put her on a drip this time with the hope that the medicine would work quicker. I was able to collect her again on Sunday evening. She had a terrible Sunday again! I think it must be to do with excitement as she was sooo excited to be home but then not long after started with all the bile drooling from her mouth and doing the motions of wanting to get sick.

After a few hours she did settle and has got a bit better every day. I am trying to keep her stress levels down, so no visitors to the house (and it seems to be working). She had a check-up yesterday and the vet is happier. She does however have a very bad case of 'the runs' and a touch of colitis now but she does seem to be on the mend. Her medication is for 20 days, so I think the trauma her stomach went through was quite something.

Needless to say, non of this is helping us get any closer to treating her PSOM. I did e-mail Lynette Cole in the USA for advise. I was very impressed that I got a response from her where she explained the treatment she would follow and said that the vet is welcome to contact her. It seems my vet will also now communicate with her.

Well the results of the MRI. Megan does have a small syrinx at the C2/C3 disc space but there is no cord signal change or 'mass effect on the cord'. This will apparently be unlikely to cause her problems during her life time!

So hopefully, once she has fully recovered from this disastrous episode, we could maybe start treating the original problem. We are all a bit nervous though about putting her under anesthetic again! At the moment I am just so relieved that she is feeling a bit better!

Oh dear, Darlene, I am so sorry to hear about all the troubles poor little Megan has had and hope she will be feeling much better very soon. I must admit that I wouldn't put MY Megan through an anaesthetic again either, but then she is 12 years old, so it's different for a younger dog who might need one for other reasons.

In all the upset, the better news about the scan result seems to have got cast into the shadow! But I'm sure we are all glad to hear that it wasn't what you most feared.

Good luck little Megan and lots of hugs from your namesake in Worcestershire

Huggingdogs.gif

Oh my goodness, I can't imagine having to go through all that.

I imagine you are exhausted! And the poor baby.
Good news on the MRI though. At least now you can focus on getting her well from this other stuff.

Let us know how she does over the next few days.

Back