• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

introducing pups to new pets?

RoyalRuby

I've just purchased a new bunny rabbit, and also have a 5 month old cavalier, and she barks at the cage and wont leave the bunny alone, how should i introduce them? the rabbit is an indoor rabbit so can't really keep them away from each other. at the minute im giving the pup (ruby) loads of attention when the bunnys out so shes not jealous and give her treats and reward her for when shes well behaved and send her out the room when she barks.
any tips??
thanks

That's a good start. Be very conservative though in introductions; it is extremely stressful to the rabbit to have a dog rushing and barking and therefore I'd keep the dog at a distance on a lead and do what you are doing only starting from a long ways away and gradually move her closer to the bunny.

The advice in the Library section on cats and cavaliers would be pretty much the same as for rabbits and cavaliers -- always keep the new animal totally protected with the dog on a lead. Some cavaliers (some dogs generally) have a high prey drive and may never be compatible with a rabbit or cat. Others you can gradually introduce, and some are quite low key in interactions from the beginning.

If the barking and excitement continues for more than a couple of weeks you will either need to keep the two totally separate, or rehome the bunny -- it isn't fair to keep one animal in a situation where it is under regular stress from another. (y)

I havent the answer,but you arnt alone,Alfs hates the hamster and he will go over to sniff her then he charges around barking at her.Mmmm.The good thing is he will stop when i tell him to and he doesnt mind her ball although he will when feeling naughty punch the ball and try and play football with her.He uselly does the football thing when we arnt looking.

We had two lop-eared rabbits when we got Millie first. We tried our best to introduce them to each other gradually, but in the end things just weren't working out.
Millie constantly bolted for them both any time she saw them. The rabbits were so stressed out with her that I was afraid they might have a heart attack. We decided it just wasn't fair on them, so we had the re-homed.

On the upside - my Dad has a rabbit and a shits-zu (sp?), and they get along like a house on fire. We're all convinved the rabbit thinks its a canine though :D

Stick at it and hopefully it will work out!

Last edited:
I got a rabbit in Feb, intitially we had her in a different room in her house, Rex was jealous and barked so we slowly started taking her into the same room and letting Rex sniff her. Now he's got used to her he runs over to her cage and she licks him through the cage and there's a lot of tail wagging.

I'd NEVER leave them alone, but when we have the bunny out to run around Rex sniffs her a lot and will lick her ears. The bunny LOVES Rex and heads straight for him. Even when we're in the garden and Rory is in her harness she'll try head in Rex's direction!!

shes being great

rubys doing really well we had them both out today and they fell asleep together im really happy, ruby licks her all over and gets excited id never leave them alone. thanks for all the advice :) im really pleased:jump:

Back