• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Kids with no manners!

Dublin

Why is it people dot teach their kids not to run up & grab dogs?

Last night myself & the other half were out with the pups when a gang of kids ran accross the road & before I knew it one of them went to pick Sparky up! I told her she shouldnt do that & took him off of her & 'she said why does he bite?' I said no but it would have been too late if he did.

I was allways taught to ask to touch someones dog before stroking them - imagine what would have happened if Sparky had been nasty! My other dog Cassie is frightened of children as she was hit by a neighbours child when she was a puppy, I don't think she would bite but if the kid had grabbed her I couldn't be 100% sure that she wouldn't just out of surprize.

I know exactly what you mean and share your frustation..

Our neighbours have one or two small children, and one of them in particular was terrible for running up to us when we were bringing out Millie and Jack for a walk.
For some reason he ALWAYS went for Jack (maybe he just stood out more because of his colouring)
The first thing the child would do was go to either slap or punch (yes, fists closed!) him in the face! I was so shocked the first time he attempted it. Poor Jack didnt know what was going on.
Thankfully I intervened before he actually got near him, and told him that he shouldn't be doing this.
On one occasion his mother actually witnessed the child doing this - and to my disbelief she just smiled and told the child 'oh be nice' - as if that was going to do anything :mad:
I always had to make sure that we both carried our two out of our drive until we were well clear of the neighbours tearaways!
I really do believe that kids treat dogs as if they are real life teddy bears - until adults have the sense to teach them otherwise.

I know exactly what you mean and share your frustation..

Our neighbours have one or two small children, and one of them in particular was terrible for running up to us when we were bringing out Millie and Jack for a walk.
For some reason he ALWAYS went for Jack (maybe he just stood out more because of his colouring)
The first thing the child would do was go to either slap or punch (yes, fists closed!) him in the face! I was so shocked the first time he attempted it. Poor Jack didnt know what was going on.
Thankfully I intervened before he actually got near him, and told him that he shouldn't be doing this.
On one occasion his mother actually witnessed the child doing this - and to my disbelief she just smiled and told the child 'oh be nice' - as if that was going to do anything :mad:
I always had to make sure that we both carried our two out of our drive until we were well clear of the neighbours tearaways!
I really do believe that kids treat dogs as if they are real life teddy bears - until adults have the sense to teach them otherwise.
My god how could a child go to slap or punch a little dog in the face. That is just awful. I would have children running up to rub ruby. A boy last week at the school rose his leg to kick her and just stopped. His mother said oh dont do that to the poor dog in a very soft stupid voice. I on the other hand said dont you dare kick my dog!!!
My own children are not angels and fight like cat and dog between them. But i dont slap my children and they wouldnt even think about being violent to each other or to an animal. I hate to think what kind of up bringing these children next door to you are having. I think it doesnt say much for the children that want to hit the dogs and really doesnt say anything atall for the parents. :eek:

I know what you mean - it says nothing for the way thy are being brought up - they must be learning this behaviour from somewhere, and the parents do nothing to correct it. Yet - they would be the first to complain if our dogs retalliated (sp?) to protect themselves.
Some kids are just downright brats - and think they will get away with slapping, hitting or kicking defenless animals.
The majority of kids are really sweet and they do love to come and look when we are out walking - but Im always cautious when kids are around. I trust the dogs - but its the kids I dont!

yes i think you are perfectly right. Most children are lovely but we really dont know whats going on inside of anyones front door, as my mother says.

I think some children have alot of badness in their homes which is very sad. Thank god we have a nice relaxed house here with my two children and my husband and ruby. Thank god we are quite laid back with the children but at the same time, i wont have them bold or disrespectful to others and animals and property etc. We can only do our best as parents but im sorry to say alot of parents dont know where there children are from hour to hour and alot dont care. That is not rearing children....I think alot of children are reared on the street!!!! Its easy for parents to say they are rearing there children when half the time they dont know even where they are.:eek: sorry i have gone on a bit.......

I think you've hit the nail on the head there! This group of children are no older than about 12 & are often out 'playing' in the street well after I go to bed & the lads with them often have a football which at past 11pm are often (more often in the summer) hitting the ball off some ones side wall, thats annoying for me - can't imagine how annoying it is for the people in the house! I wouldn't say the parents know (or care in some cases) where their kids are - they're probably glad they're not in the house wreckingt heir heads!

I know there are a lot of well behaved kids out there but seems these days there are more unruly ones than good ones unfortunatly - just realised how old that makes me sound & I'm only 31!!!:)

I think you've hit the nail on the head there! This group of children are no older than about 12 & are often out 'playing' in the street well after I go to bed & the lads with them often have a football which at past 11pm are often (more often in the summer) hitting the ball off some ones side wall, thats annoying for me - can't imagine how annoying it is for the people in the house! I wouldn't say the parents know (or care in some cases) where their kids are - they're probably glad they're not in the house wreckingt heir heads!

I know there are a lot of well behaved kids out there but seems these days there are more unruly ones than good ones unfortunatly - just realised how old that makes me sound & I'm only 31!!!:)
I think that is funny that you sound old at 31 :lol:
I am forty and my thread made me sound like my mother!!! We are becoming mini me's of our mothers......... But i must say its all true what we are saying. If people thought before having children and had the proper time to share !!!!! with them, i think we would have nicer children. Now don't get me wrong, sometimes i am glad for my few minutes here maybe on the computer while the children play for an hour on the playstation, but most of the time, i never stop going, and glad to be able to do it. But i know where my children are and who they are with and i hope...!!!!????? to keep it that way as they grow up..... Now i really sound old.....:(:cry*ing: Ok am i old????

Oh please shoot me - I promised I'd never turn into my mum!!!!!!

But we are right, people just have kids for having kids sake sometimes! I know my sister had my neice because a couple of her friends had kids & then her fella went & left her as he wasn't ready for having kids, my poor sister has done the best she can for my neice she really has but because of her split with her father (well, I should say on-off relationship with him) my neice has suffered a bit & as a result my sister has been having trouble toilet training my neice - she started last september & she's still not totaly dry! (hope I have more luck with Sparks!!).

Manners

Its not just children. Adults also seem to lacking in basic manners and courtesy. Everyone has this attitude that they are entitled to do as they please without regard to others. Now I sound like my Grandmother!

Back