• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Advice please! Leaving my cavalier with friends while on vacation

heyjude1750

Any suggestions about leaving my skittish and loving Cavalier with friends while we go on vacation. He is so attached to us, we are afraid to leave him. Thanks for any advice.

Hi and welcome! Leaving your dog for the first time can be stressful -- but generally more for you than the dog! ;) Having run a rescue and left dozens of cavaliers into foster, then to new homes, I know that most dogs adapt pretty quickly and happily to a new routine (though you'll always be their number one human). I'd suggest a few first steps -- first of course you want to be sure the garden, if they have one, is very secure and there are no places a dog could slip through gaps in a fence for example. And ideally, they're people that have owned dogs or have one now, so they know the routines and what to watch out for. Also if they have kids, you want to be sure no one is going to leave a door open etc.

If they're a great match as dog watchers while you're away, then some advance visits to your friend with your dog so that he is used to their home would be a good idea, perhaps visit and have a cup of coffee and let him get to know the shape and smells of their place. When you leave him, bring over his bed, his own food dishes and a couple of favourite toys. I'd do up a little info sheet on his personality and routine, exact feeding instructions (along with the supplies), vet/emergency contact etc. I'd make sure he has a secure harness (and he's used to it) for walks, not just on a collar that might be slipped -- that he's chipped and the chip is properly registered, and he has ID tags on collar and perhaps harness too.

If your dog isn't used to ever being left alone, I'd certainly start to train him for this. Also, if he hasn't normally used a Kong or other hollow stuffing toy, this would be a great time to introduce one of those, as having a stuffed Kong or similar to work away at as very soothing for dogs, and you can explain how to set one up to your friends as a daily relaxation treat for your dog.

The one thing I do suggest to dog folks is -- weigh up honestly whether your dog might be safer and better cared for in kennels or with a trusted home boarding service (get recommendations from dog owning friends, a trainer or groomer, etc). Most dogs really adjust very easily to a stint in kennels and they are generally much more secure and safer than being left with friends or relatives IF the latter haven't owned dogs or have children or teens who might leave a front door or side gate open or don't have a dog-proof set-up in their own home. A lot of the disaster stories with dogs over the years happen when people leave their dog with friends or relatives or a poor home boarding service and the dog escapes when a gate or door is left open or a child drops the leash or the dog is being walked off-lead in an area it doesn't know and takes off. I'd opt for the security of a good kennels over someone who doesn't know much about dogs, any time (I only mention this is a general caution and one of the considerations to weigh up!).

Hi and welcome! Leaving your dog for the first time can be stressful -- but generally more for you than the dog! ;) Having run a rescue and left dozens of cavaliers into foster, then to new homes, I know that most dogs adapt pretty quickly and happily to a new routine (though you'll always be their number one human). I'd suggest a few first steps -- first of course you want to be sure the garden, if they have one, is very secure and there are no places a dog could slip through gaps in a fence for example. And ideally, they're people that have owned dogs or have one now, so they know the routines and what to watch out for. Also if they have kids, you want to be sure no one is going to leave a door open etc.

If they're a great match as dog watchers while you're away, then some advance visits to your friend with your dog so that he is used to their home would be a good idea, perhaps visit and have a cup of coffee and let him get to know the shape and smells of their place. When you leave him, bring over his bed, his own food dishes and a couple of favourite toys. I'd do up a little info sheet on his personality and routine, exact feeding instructions (along with the supplies), vet/emergency contact etc. I'd make sure he has a secure harness (and he's used to it) for walks, not just on a collar that might be slipped -- that he's chipped and the chip is properly registered, and he has ID tags on collar and perhaps harness too.

If your dog isn't used to ever being left alone, I'd certainly start to train him for this. Also, if he hasn't normally used a Kong or other hollow stuffing toy, this would be a great time to introduce one of those, as having a stuffed Kong or similar to work away at as very soothing for dogs, and you can explain how to set one up to your friends as a daily relaxation treat for your dog.

The one thing I do suggest to dog folks is -- weigh up honestly whether your dog might be safer and better cared for in kennels or with a trusted home boarding service (get recommendations from dog owning friends, a trainer or groomer, etc). Most dogs really adjust very easily to a stint in kennels and they are generally much more secure and safer than being left with friends or relatives IF the latter haven't owned dogs or have children or teens who might leave a front door or side gate open or don't have a dog-proof set-up in their own home. A lot of the disaster stories with dogs over the years happen when people leave their dog with friends or relatives or a poor home boarding service and the dog escapes when a gate or door is left open or a child drops the leash or the dog is being walked off-lead in an area it doesn't know and takes off. I'd opt for the security of a good kennels over someone who doesn't know much about dogs, any time (I only mention this is a general caution and one of the considerations to weigh up!).
Thanks so much for your suggestions. I really appreciate them.

Back