• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Licking humans

Well we woke up this morning with Baldrick laying stretched out between us, when I woke up and fussed him lots of kisses were forthcoming!

Oliver is addicted to kissing as well....for him it is ears and toes specific. Right away I started telling him "No kisses!" when I wanted him to stop and now he kisses until told not to.....then he snuggles into you and rolls on his back and waves his paws (we finally figured out, once he started doing it in front of his food bowl that that means "please") :)

Oh, man, am I going to be in trouble.

I absolutely CANNOT STAND being licked by dogs. Even thinking about it makes my skin crawl. It seems that it has more to do with something wet touching my skin than it does anything like germs, but even with than explaination, just EWWWW I cringe at the thought of it. (Ummm, I also cannot stand being "licked" by humans, like a male friend...tongue...ear...neck...ewwwwwwwwww!!!!!) Geeze, I think there is a problem here.

Anyway, My Toby has never ever even tried to lick me. He sniffs me, which also makes me crazy. He loves to sniff all around my face, tickling me with his whiskers. I tolerate it for as long as I can, then I have to push him away.

Max, on the other hand, has a VERY strange licking thing. With him, it is all about lotiion of any kind or fragrence. He will try to lick me after I have put any kind of lotion on, but since I won't let him, he licks the air...a lot...like for a long time....he will lay at the foot of the bed and just lick and lick and lick.

I just want you to know that these are the same dogs that sleep with me every night, stick their butts in my face, pass gas, snore, and refuse to allow any space for me to stretch out my legs, and I don't mind one bit. I love them madly. I am NOT a bad mom, I swear. :)

When I pick her up to take her downstairs in the morning (our bedroom is at the top of a ladder) I get kissed on the ear. After she does her thing out in the garden we have a morning snuggle for a few minutes, and then she invariably licks my arm until I pull it away and wipe it like I'm drying it. She always stops after I've dried my arm.

When she's feeling playful, she licks almost aggressively, repeatedly jumping up into my face (if I'm sitting on the floor) and going for my ears--sometimes I have to stand up because she's a little too eager. That's actually a bit annoying--she gets that certain wild look in her eyes when she's like that.

Today, after I made myself bacon for lunch, she kissed my hand. My fingers, actually. I didn't take it as affection (well, maybe it was affection for organic bacon).;)

Yes this sounds very familiar!! Max does lick, but is more into rubbing his face vigorously against ours and making loud affectionate noises at the same time!!! He sits himself on my chest, then lies down with paws around my neck and then this affectionate behaviour goes on for a good ten minutes.

I try to stop my cavalier from licking people, especially the kids.......
I'm a microbiologist and have a problem with a dog licking it's posterior and then licking my kid's faces..no thanks,no matter how cute she is, she's still a dog and although she's allowed on the bed and couch for cuddles, licking is off the menu.
Sins

Zena isn't much of a kisser. She will dain to give you a little peck or two in the morning, during "morning snuggles." But afer that forget it. I think it comes from being a "kennel" dog for so long. Now Ziggy, on the other hand, would drown you in his wet, sloppy kisses if you'd let him. That boy just lives to find new ways to express his boundless affection on me! Good thing I never tire of it.

Oh and I figure the germ thing probably works out pretty evenly. I bring home pathogens from the medical school to him and he brings me what ever he's been in. That which has not yet killed us, has probably strengthened each of us. I hope

Can well appreciate this, but to be totally honest my Cavalier has never ever paid attention to his nether regions. My famale Lab always cleaned herself in this way however, but then she never went in for licking.

My parent's springs when they were little always went for noses... I think I have a picture somewhere my nose in the dogs mouth.

My Maverick isn't too much for licking but loves to cuddle. The only place he likes to lick is my back when I'm not watching. I got a horrible suprise the other day when I was cleaning the chinchilla cage with lowrise pants on... yep the top of my butt crack... i was shocked!

We have a little routine going on in our house....
My husband comes home after me and im usually sitting on the couch and ginger is napping...he'll come through the door and i'll say to Ginger "wheres daddy" she'll run over to him, he'll bend over and she'll start licking his face. Then he'll come to sit down, and her butt goes on his belly, her paws on each shoulder and its LICK FEST!
I dont mind kisses, but I dont want her doing that to me! It seems she knows because she simply does not do that to me. However it is cute when I say to her 'Ginger I Love You', and she licks me! Also she'll lick us when we say 'Ginger Kisses'. Im going to try the No More Kisses thing tonight and see what happens!

Back