• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lily's spay...

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
...turned out to be Lily's deluxe microchipping! It turns out she has already been spayed -- much to my amazement; she's the first female rescue I've had in who was spayed, and given her terrible state when she came in, the last thing I'd have guessed was she once had an owner who bothered to get her done. :shock:

Poor little girl now has to cope with her stitches for 10 days, but she won;t be as sore as if they had taken a few things out. Also I didn't want to wait a year of potential seasons to be sure she was spayed. I would have sworn she wasn't spayed.

They forgot to do her nails though. :(

I picked up 2 babygrows (onesies) at the local charity shop. Here she is in her Winnie the Pooh outfit (nibbling a chew to keep her busy, though she has quickly fallen asleep):
216959144_af41c9890c_m.jpg

The tail view:
216959103_24be0ddd1b_m.jpg

Hope it wasn't too traumatic for Lily and her stitches heal quickly....

She looks good in the winnie outfit - fits just nicely!

There is a chemical way to tell if a bitch has been spay. You give them a shot of "I can't remember" and it tells the ovaries to produce-- they give off a hormone and you do a blood test. Dr Hutch told us about it (but that was too long ago for me to remember). Poor girl. Sandy

WOW! I've never heard of that happening. I would have loved to see the vets face :lol: :lol:

Poor girl, I bet she's wondering what happened...and why she has to wear jammies! :lol:

What do the boys think of her getup?!?!

I've known of other cases -- if you work with rescue dogs and cats, it happens from time to time with the females. Sometimes the vets can feel the scarring from the incision point but they couldn't feel anything with her. I remember hearing there is a test etc that can be done; I don't know if my vets do them. At any rate they didn't mention doing this as an alternative; I'll have to ask about it.

So many people don't bother to spay/neuter here that, given her very poor state in the pound, I never imagined she'd already be spayed. Though she was very fat and clearly belonged to someone, it was someone who, going by her state of filthiness and huge matts, had probably never brushed or bathed her once in her short life as she is probably only just a bit over one -- maybe 18 months old.

This is what she looked like the day she came into the pound:

160054835_f2bb03d3e7.jpg

oh wow what an awful surprise for Lily!! She probably was having evil "not this again! :x " thoughts!! Oh well I am glad that she is doing well!! She looks so good with whinnie the pooh jammies.. .. .. I definately think he suits her!!

And wow Karlin - what a turn around you've done with Lily. She looks absolutely amazing now. Way to go! cl*p

Lily looks so adorable in her onesies. Boy, how great she looks now vs. how she looked when she was rescued. Way to go Karlin!

My daughter is a vet tech and she said Lily's unknown spay situation occurs pretty frequently (where you can't tell if they are spay) for rescue dogs. She also said it is usually cheaper to attempt to do the surgery than to do all the bloodwork. Hope she is feeling good soon.

Oh Lily nothing like being full of surprises!!

Well it does explain the coat then Karlin, it really did look like a speyed bitch coat, and now we know why!!!

I love those winnie the pooh PJs...very envious, I need some the same LOL

SO pleased she's ok, I'm sure the stitches will heal quickly and she will feel much better by tomorrow.,

Sending all our :lotsaluv: to Lily,

Get well soon Miss Beautiful, oh she is just that! and I just adore the PJ's :D

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

The PJs suit her, I must say. :) She looks like a pudgy little baby! :lol: She's been pretty much just sleeping.

Wouldnt it be wonderful if Lily could write a biography? Oh the tales she could tell...

I must say, the onesies are adorable. It highlights how small she really is by hiding her coat! I bet Willow would be absolutely adorable in a onsie... hmmmmmmmmm

I think those onesies should be a permanent part of Lily's wardrobe. She looks so darn cute!! Hope she is feeling better soon from her 2nd spay :)

In the tail picture, is her tail tucked in her bed or is it short--bobbed like that?

wow, she looks really scruffy in that pound picture--yet her adorable spirit comes through, even in that photo she is very sweet and cute looking. what a mess though, it's heartbreaking.

As you say, at least it will be much easier healing than if they'd taken things out.

zack had self dissolving stitches. From peoples' reports I've heard, it seems most vets don't use them. I wonder why. Maybe they aren't quite as strong or something. no follow up appointment was required.

That is one comfortable looking dog bed.

The vets use dissolving stitches on semi-feral cats all the time, as then they (cats not vets!) can be released and it is less stressful to them. I think some do use them more generally. Probably the reason most vets don't is that they are guaranteed people will bring the animal back in after 10 days to get the stitches out and can check the animal. Though my dad (doctor) used to take out all the stitches on either animals or kids in our house!

n the tail picture, is her tail tucked in her bed or is it short--bobbed like that?

If you look closely you can see the white part of her tail curling to the right against the white bed -- it is just hard to see becasue the pic quality isn't great; I used my mobile phone. :)

Gosh she is back to her old self 100% this morning; you'd never even guess she had surgery yesterday or has stitches except for the occasional attempt to scratch them -- but thankfully she isn't fussing too much with them and I'm pleased she doesn't need an E collar. I had her in my room last night for the first time ever -- she has been exiled because she has snored so loudly -- but she only woke me a couple of times, no worse than Leo really. She just breathes so much better with the weight off. She was one happy cavalier to get a regular dish of food this morning! (mmmm chicken stew...).

Leo is doing much better as well -- not nearly as scratchy. :)

She's almost totally ignoring those stitches now so she doesn't even have to wear the babygrow... though it may need to make a reappearance as often they get more annoyed with the stitches as the wound heals and the stitches feel tighter.

My main problem is keeping her from doing all the stuff she normally does. Today she was off lead with the others in a little local park (well it isn't exactly a 'park' -- it is where the executed leaders of the 1916 Uprising are buried, and gets surprisingly few visitors given they are in many way the 'founding fathers' for the modern Irish state. There's some lovely flower beds by the memorial, and a church and the old graves from the British military garrison, and it was an old prison yard... and is next to the current Arbour Hill prison. There's a big grassy area and locals all take their dogs there and the caretaker, Colm, loves dogs, so he doesn't mind (as a matter of fact he always has an old tennis ball in his pocket for the dogs). I bet many Irish people have never actually been to see the graves! I go to see them all several times a week -- I always think they'd like to know that in modern Ireland, there are people sitting enjoying the sun near their graves and dogs playing :) ).

Arbour Hill cemetery memorial:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~fianna/history/1916-8.html

I live about 50 yards away over that wall BTW!

But back to Lily -- she was impossible to keep from running around; she is just indifferent to those stitches. I'll be glad when they come out though! :shock:

Back