• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Minnie's SM Meds

Sandrac

Well we had a very positive appointment with Clare Rusbridge on Tuesday. She explained her MRI results in great detail and was very re-assuring.

She has started Minnie on Trocoxil (mavacoxib) which is a monthly pain relief medication and we are seeing how she re-acts to it. Then in 3 weeks time Minnie will start on Zitac (cimetidine). Clare is sending a treatment plan to my vet (who incidentally wanted to treat Minnie himself by starting her on Frusemide and Rimadyl)icon_nwunsure

Minnie will then have another MRI in a year's time to see how things are.

Clare has said I can contact her at any time if I have any concerns or worries, and the important thing was to treat Minnie as normal.:)

Minnie seemed to be well remembered by the Stone Lion team - when she went for her MRI she was last out of 15 being done that particular day, and apparently she made her feelings very well known when all the others were coming back and getting fed and she wasn't.:lol:

I have now got over the initial shock and upset that I know everyone else who is faced with dealing with this awful condition must go through on first learning that their darling babies have it. However, am feeling more positive and determined to do all that is possible to ensure that this terrible condition can be eradicated from our beloved breed.

I'm so glad it went well Sandra - Stone Lion are brilliant with their patients and seem very caring and understanding.

You have a great attitude and that will really help - it is a dreadful shock when they are first diagnosed, especially if you are not seeing any symptoms. :(

Having a very positive attitude really helps - you can work together with your vet and Clare to come up with a treatment program, which you can then monitor at home and report back.

Take care and remember to look after yourself too

Trocoxil (mavacoxib) does concern me a bit - I don't like the thought of it remaining active in their systems for that long, but that's just me!

Clare has recently put Dylan on Trocoxil as he wasn't responding to medication. We had tried other nsaids and various combinations of drugs but it had got to the point where he couldn't go out for walks any more. He is now on pregabalin 50mg x 2 a day, frusemide 20mg x 2 a day and trocoxil and whilst there isn't a huge improvement he is now going out for a walk every day.

I am so pleased the appointment went well. Molly and Dougall are on Trocoxil and cimetedine (zetac) they are both doing well. I feel happier and relieved since both dogs are now under the care of Clare Rusbridge and her team. So I totally understand how you feel. kind regards :)

Back