• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Mucus in stools (sorry!)

elaine181000

OK this is really gross I know, so if you're reading this while eating, please stop!

We changed Lucy's diet to NatureDiet and James Wellbeloved a few months ago. So far so good, she adores it, it doesn't make her sick, and no loose stools. However, her stools are frequently covered in mucus, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. She doesn't seem in any discomfort. Any thoughts? I'm not worried about her, she seems so well, but just want to check that this isn't a symptom of something more serious or something that requires a visit to the vet.

Oh please, never apologise for discussing stools with other dog lovers... :lol: Tara and Lisa and I know that at some point during any lunch or dinner together we will all animatedly be discussing dog poop! :rolleyes:

On to the subject at hand (so to speak) -- sometimes that's from their anal glands and you want it to be there. :lol: I find their stools can vary anyway and sometimes they are more mucousy. I would guess a lot also depends on say treats or extras added to the food from day to day. A raw diet when I fed that, always tended to produce dry hard poops but adding in treats could easily make them vary.

Indeed we love talking about our dogs poops. The more graphic the better. :p

Yeah, I don't think it is anything to worry about. In a book I recently read "Give your Dog a Bone", the author/vet mentions this & says it is common with a switch in diet and is nothing to be concerned about.

Ah! My day is complete, a poop discussion!! :lol:

As the others have said this is perfectly normal, the only time to really worry is if they are very hard and dry (constipation) or very loose and with blood in them (Diarrhea)!!

So glad I found this thread!
Thanks all for the open and honest discussion on these boards. I am changing Scooby's diet from Burns to James Wellbeloved hypoallergenic gradually and noticed better stools but with some mucus. He's also having a little Manuka honey each day so I guess that could be making a difference. As he's happy and eating well I guess mucus is just a reaction to different food.

Back