• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Name Origin

My O/H pick the names for Mattie it suit him
Rocky because when we brought him home he said he look like a Rottweller
Barney was my choice he just look like a barney
----Aileen

Wow, I was just thinking yesterday I thought this would be a good thread. I'm glad you started it.

I decided to name Lucky "Lucky" because I got him the first week of my new job, and I figured he'd be my little "good luck" charm. It was actually just one of those "aha!" kinda things ... while I wanted to see if his personality confirmed it, I felt 99.999% confident that that would be (and should be) his name. And if you'd have asked me a month or so before I got Lucky if I'd have named my dog Lucky, I'd have said "no way!" for sure ... too much of a "dog" name!!!

Well, this does have a story behind it, because besides the new job, when I took Lucky out to go to the bathroom on our way home from getting him, I sat him right in a field of 4 and five leaf clovers. I picked 45 of them and printed up little cards with his picture on them for my friends and laminated a clover on the back for each of them!!!

Here's a scan of his picture with a few of his clovers:

269650030_2754b7b1dc_m.jpg

Once I sat him in the field of 4 leaf clovers, I knew for sure that he was DESTINED to be named Lucky. :flwr:

Fauna was named by her breeder and was already coming to her name so. . . I thought it sounded a bit like a name for a stripper :roll: but then remembered that in Sleeping Beauty, Disney had named the three good fairies - Flora, Fauna and Merriweather - hence Flora. Now all we need is Merriweather!!!

JaneB

We struggled and struggled with a name. For awhile, Libby's name was going to be Spirit. Her litter was born just shy of the 4th of July. I liked Spirit, because I have hopes of making her a therapy dog. The full name was going to be travelin free Spirit. We like to travel so much and always take the dogs. AND last Spirit because of the Cavalier personality and we hope to raise Spirits on our visit.

Well, after meeting her the girl's weren't sure anymore that Spirit fit her. So back to the drawing board. We were just going to go with an Irish name to match Riley's, but we decided on Liberty. It seemed to fit the birthday of July 3rd and everyone liked Libby for short. I think it fits her, maybe the next one will be named Spirit!

Charleen - I love your dogs' names. My hubby is a big LOTR fan - I am going to have to make sure I don't tell him about your Merry and Pippin or he is going to want to name our next dog Gandalf!

Riley's mother was lady and his father was Rex..so he became Sir Riley of Mihart because he had his paws wrapped around my heart within minutes...

Robbie's puppy name was Frosty and I just couldn't see myself yelling Frosty everytime I wanted him..LOL..but he just looked like a Robbie..his registered name is combinations of his parents names and kennel name plus Mihart which if I ever bred which I never plan to do would be my kennel name..Truwain Autrmn Frost of Mihart.

Wish I could say that we searched the anals of history for a fitting name for our girl...truth is, there was a pair of puppets on TV around that time, named ZIG & ZAG. They referred to outbursts of flatulence :) (that's a fart) as a Rudee.

So when we brought our little eight week old puppy home on March 17th 1994, I said "what are we going to call her?" and hubby said "I don't know, she's just a little fart of a thing!" :D

She was also called Rudeepoohs, Babbykins, Deputy, Duckydoodles and amazingly enough she answered to all of them :roll:

:flwr:

When we were in the process of choosing a name for our soon-to-be baby boy Cav, I put the name 'Geordie' on our list. A 'Geordie' is someone from Newcastle upon Tyne, UK. One of my very, very favorite musicians is Sting, who is a Geordie, and my favorite beer is Newcastle Brown Ale.

Right before we left on our 9 hour trip to go get him (out near Philadelphia, PA), my hubby bought a Mark Knopfler CD entitled 'Sailing to Philadelphia.' The title song is about Mason and Dixon sailing from the UK to Philadelphia, and in the song Jeremiah Dixon is called a Geordie Boy, and a Gullible Geordie Lad. When we arrived at the breeders, we named him [kennel name] Geordie Lad. Whenever we play the song 'Sailing to Philadelphia', I pick Geordie up and sing to him!

Back