• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New to forum!

Fenderpawz

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum and I have owned Fender my Black and Tan ckcs for 9 years. In his older days, he has developed "old dog syndrome", hip displaisa, rotting teeth and he is deaf. How did this all happen? Well, the old dog syndrome and hip displaisa came with age, his teeth from improper care and the deafness he got when he was young; our family went camping and fox tails got stuck in his ears when he ran through the fields, unfortunately his ears never recovered properly. He can only hear really high pitched noises. although it may sound like he's suffering, I've never met or owned a happier dog. He's being treated with glucosamine and we put "grippy" socks on his paws so he doesn't slide around and hurt his hips. I joined the forum so I can help him enjoy his last years.

Welcome to the forum! Apologies for not having said that before - I've been occupied with nursing both my Cavaliers, Oliver and Aled. Sadly, both of them have had to be put to sleep in the last week or so, Aled with heart failure at the age of 7, and Oliver with progressive hind leg paralysis and some old-age related things at the age of 13. I hope you will have many more years with your Fender. In my experience, Cavaliers are very good at making the best of life even when it is somewhat limited by deafness, hip dysplasia or other ills. They are great lovers of life.

Oliver was almost totally deaf for the last 3 years of his life. Since he couldn't hear me, I tried to handle him much more, to keep in contact. He knew several hand signals but if he didn't want to come and have his lead put on at the end of a visit to the park, he would deliberately walk away so that he couldn't see me 'calling' him - he was a wicked old man! :lol: You can read my tributes to both Oliver and Aled in the 'In Memoriam' section.

You will find the Forum members friendly and supportive - and also very knowledgeable about Cavaliers and the (unfortunately many) ills that afflict them. If you can work out how to do it (I'm hopeless!), we love seeing photos!

Kate

Welcome,
I LOVE the grippy sock idea, never thought of it before. My Cav popped his knee out when he was 2yrs old from skidding on laminate flooring... Try to not let him run to back door now but might nab your idea for his 'worse days'
I use yumove for his joints and mobility :)

Back