• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Notes from the Estimated Breeding Values Seminar to S. & W. Wales Cavalier Club

Can anyone confirm yet if IKC reg cavaliers are of interest?
Sins I noted in March 2009 that this was mentioned in the notes for the Proposed BVA/KC Syringomyelia MRI Screening Scheme.
Inclusion of dogs from other countries
This scheme is also not limited to the UK i.e. images and appropriate documentation may also be submitted from other countries.

But then maybe an email to the AHT to confirm might be a good idea, and I think contact maybe [email protected] or telephone ( 01638 ) 750659 ext 1214.

Sins in regards to the BVA/KC Scheme note this from the weekend notes.
• The official BVA/KC heart testing and CMSM schemes (soon to be introduced) will help a great deal and hopefully speed up the flow of health data to the AHT.

Estimated Breeding Values Seminar

Just wondering why cannot all the Cavalier Folk on the UK Club Web Site who have MRI Scanned their Cavaliers be contacted to find out if they have sent the Scans of their Cavaliers to Dr Blott.

Also what I wonder is it because the Labradors only need to be X-RAYed, I made a mistake in my Post about this, that the Cavalier Breed will take a lot longer to be involvedin the EBV Scheme.

How many MRI Scans are needed?

Does any-body know?

Bet(Hargreaves)

Soushiruiuma

There is a simplified version of the EBV presentation(including slides) on my website www.cavaliercampaign.com
but I'd always recommend people attend the seminars themselves as you can ask for clarification, etc, and hear it from the horse mouth.

But I see you're from New Orleans, so it's hardly practical.

Suggest everyone put the date of the next one in their diary (and this will include MVD as well) 20 November 2010 at the Royal Veterinary College, Herts, England.

Carol

Estimated Breeding Values Seminar

I have been doing a wee bit of checking back on the UK CKCS CLUB Site

There was a Meeting held at the AHT 25-7-'08

At the moment there seems to be some confusion as to the the Owners of Cavaliers and their MRI Scans.

At that Meeting it was agreed ,that while the Panel and Protocol are being set up.

MRI Scan Certificates Received by Dog Owners from Individual Clinics can be sent directly to the Animal Health Trust

The following should be of INTEREST to those Cavalier Owners.

This will need the SUPPORT of All CLUBS ,to encourage Members to send Results of MRI Scans to the AHT ,where Confidentiality has been Assured.

Did the CKCS CLUBS do enough to encourage the Cavalier Owners to send their Cavalier MRI Scans to the AHT?

Were the CKCS CLUBS Lax in doing this?

Is this where the problem of the SM Researchers not getting the amount of Cavalier SM Scans needed lies?

Should some-body have been Co-ordinating this. ?

I would have thought in some-thing asimportant as this ,this should have been being done.

Has this mistake cost some Cavaliers another 2 years of unecessary suffering?

Will the CKCS CLUBS now get to Grips with this and appoint some-body to see that some-thing is done about it?

Bet( Hargreaves)

Purely out of curiosity, how informative would you consider these EBV seminars? Even though I don't breed I have a scientific (and personal) interest, do you think it would be worth traveling to attend one?
As you are in the USA the first EBV Seminars I heard about involving dogs occurred about 10 years ago in the USA and several more since then, but I haven't heard of any recent ones in the USA. These were by the Seeing Eye Guide Dogs Geneticist, see the webpage at this link address as to who I mean and what organisations.
http://www.seeingeye.org/news/default.aspx?M_ID=195

Bet I think there was an understanding that all neurologists were submitting scans, but this has not necessarily been the case. I don't think this is an issue of the clubs or the breeders or the neurologists -- more that there was a general belief that something was being done and as sometimes happens there seems to have been some misunderstanding along the way, as it is definitely the case that scans are not being submitted as a matter of course as there are certainly more that have been done than have come through. It would be helpful if breed clubs would go back to their members and asked them to verify that their scans have gone to Sarah Blott and Tom Lewis.

I do understand that scans will definitely be taken from Irish cavaliers -- I just checked this for you, Sins. If you are anywhere in the world and have a pet cavalier that was scanned, and the cavalier has a formal registration with one of the recognized registration bodies (eg IKC, AKC, CKCSC), send me a PM as your scan will probably be of use for research.

Lab info was definitely more abundant and cheaper and easier to obtain by breeders.

I'm glad to see that the effective population size is 80. That is higher than I would have guessed. In my small amount of genetics training we were taught that the minimum (bare minimum, not recommended) in order to establish a breed of animals was 40,

Actually the figure for breed health though is closer to 150-200, according to the breed club report I posted which was the club's goal based on current genetics research. The other difficulty is that two serious health problems are also widespread in the breed, meaning it isn;t like having a relatively normal population of 80 individuals where you can find animals entirely clear of problems. With cavaliers, the genome researchers failed to find more than a couple of cavaliers clear of the Chiarilike malformation as well as SM, so they had to use an entirely different breed as their control group -- a breed that also has SM (griffons) but still has most dogs scanning free of CM. Also cavaliers are all extremely closely related, unlike many other breeds where there may be say 80-100 effective individuals, but they come from breeding groups all around the world. There were few cavaliers anywhere except the UK and Ireland until a few decades ago and UK lines still closely underlie all the US lines, for example. Researchers found it very hard to find any somewhat isolated dogs anywhere that hadn't been bred back into popular lines from the UK in the past 20 years so that indicates probably pretty little diversity internationally. It would be great to scan in other countries though to see if some can be found; also I suspect many small pet on-show breeders might have isolated lines from show lines originally -- am sure this is the case in Ireland. Given the situation maybe fresh clear blood will come from such pockets?

Nonetheless Sarah Blott feels there is enough genetic diversity for EBVs to be successful -- but they won't be very accurate unless people are scanning and submitting the results and submitting ALL results, not just good scans. It would be very disappointing if breeders had to wait several more years to get the EBV system in place due to lack of enough scans, especially as so many have actually been done now -- there are surely hundreds not yet added in to the collection. Four or five club scanning days would produce 500 scans and there have been many more than this so they are definitely out there somewhere; hopefully word will spread that they may not have been sent in and for breeders to check and submit if needed. :)

Hi could someone please inform where to send MRI scans to? I presume the cardiologist certs go to the same place also how does one get hold of a swab kit? Any links out there with this info? thanks.

You can get full info here:

http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/health/ebv/call_for_data.html

From which:

How can you help?

· Send in your screening results

If your Cavalier has been MRI scanned for syringomyelia and/or screened for mitral valve disease (heart murmur) then we would like to have a copy of the results certificates, together with the Kennel Club registered name and number of the dog or a 5-generation pedigree. For quality control purposes we cannot include in our database screening information about a dog unless we hold a copy of the results certificate and have owner consent to have it. All results certificates and the actual disease status of individual dogs will remain completely confidential and will not be shared with any other parties outside the AHT.

All copies of screening results certificates and pedigrees should be sent to:

Dr Sarah Blott,
CKCS Health Breeding Programme,
Animal Health Trust,
Lanwades Park, Kentford,
Newmarket,
Suffolk CB8 7UU

Or electronic copies of the documents (e.g. pdf files) can be e-mailed to [email protected]

· Donate a DNA sample from your dog

We are also collecting cheek swab samples from Cavaliers for DNA archiving and for research to develop genomic breeding values for syringomyelia and MVD.

To request a DNA cheek swab kit please e-mail [email protected] or telephone Lisa Jeffery on (01638 ) 750659 ext 1214.

Please note that this is NOT just for breeders and researchers want pet owner scans if you have a registered dog (eg a dog that would have a pedigree and has a KC or IKC or AKC etc registration number).

And from elsewhere:

Until the KC / BVA scheme is established are neurologists automatically forwarding results from MRI screening to the CKCS Health Breeding Programme at the Animal Health Trust?
Submission of MRI reports are currently at the owner’s discretion although some neurologists may forward on your behalf if requested. To be sure that information from your lines is being incorporated send copies of MRI reports and pedigrees to Dr Sarah Blott CKCS Health Breeding Programme Animal Health Trust, Lanwades Park, Kentford, Newmarket, Suffolk CB8 7UU This can also be done electronically to [email protected].

By the way, I've noticed this where I think later on this may be expanded to include the following.

From the Summary
Proposed BVA KC Syringomyelia MRI screening scheme
Inclusion of breeds other than CKCS
This scheme is not breed specific i.e. any breeder may participate providing the dog has permanent identification in the form of tattoo or microchip.

Back