• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

our old boy is getting fat!

Hey,
Any suggestions about how to manage our 9 year old cavaliers weight. He was the same weight his whole life and over the past 12-18 months or so has started to get fat! Should we be putting him on a diet? Exercise more? We are not doing anything differently and I think it must be a middle-age spread LOL. I know excess weight brings along other health issues so we are wanting to get it under control!
Any ideas??

At the right hand side at the top of the page there is an Advanced Search facility - if you put in 'Losing Weight', you'll find a lot of useful threads - keeping weight off Cavaliers is a perennial problem! A useful recent thread was 'Weight Shocker', which provides some useful advice.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi,

I feel for you I really do! My Leo put some serious weight on when I changed his food to combat anal gland problems.
He went up to a whooping 13kgicon_whistling
I changed his food to Healthypaws. Limited his treats big time. He no longer has dentastix and the like but loves raw carrots, ice cubes and half a rice cake as a treat.

We did increase his exercise too.

Over the year he lost just over 3kg which is A LOT for a little cavalier.b*n*n*

It's hard (especially when big brown eyes are begging for food) but we want him to live to be an old man and will do everything we can to make that happen.

Good luck

I find veggies to be a good "filler" for my two. Misty is a bottomless pit, but she adores carrots, and sits and begs when I start peeling them :rolleyes:

I think that any sudden weight increase should also be checked out by your vet.

It might well be something that you can manage by diet, but could also be caused by another health problem, so my advice would be to see your vet first :d*g:

My Mindy also gained weight as she aged. I think like us the metabolism doesn't work as fast anymore and also I think even though they might get the same amount of daily walks their other - running around the house exercise decreases without us really being aware. I had to bite the bullet and reduce her food substantially. She was definitely more comfortable and active at a healthier weight.

Back