• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please help!!! Is this really the most important thing

I'll probably take some heat for saying this, but I WANT to help. Truly, I do.

I believe that like attracts like. If I am stressed and upset, I will attract stressful situations into my day. If I am happy and carefree, I will have wonderful day. I know this to be true because when I worked in customer service on the days I went into work stressed, unhappy or feeling grouchy I had the worst customers NO MATTER how kind and sweet I was to them, on the inside I was feeling grouchy and I am SURE my energy sent them my way. BUT! If I was happy and carefree.....I'd get the sweetest, kindest customers.

I think that if you are approaching breeders feeling stressed, unhappy and desparate for a puppy, the breeders are going to sense that. I believe that you need to find peace and BELIEVE & KNOW that you WILL find the puppy that is meant to come your way when the time is right. When you approach a breeder with peace in your life, and in your heart, I am sure the breeder will feel this peace coming from you and want their puppy to go where the energy feels good. The universe will help this happen. KNOW that the puppy is on its way to you. Find comfort in your knowing. Don't stress about the timing, the puppy will come. Prepare for the puppy in your life.

:) Just trying to help.

Thanks, Lynn.:flwr:

It just wasn't fair in last 3 situations. It's like saying "but, but, but..." and they don't want to give you an alternative. Searching most of the year was fine until this last few weeks. Search, referrals, list, and wait stuff all made sense. Just the interpretation or high expectations from breeders should have been written down in black and white. Believe me I don't set out on a mission just to deliberately hit a break wall.

Due diligence should be removed from my characteristic. :)

I have a fenced in garden but saying that my lot are really never out in the garden they prefer going on walks. The only time mine are out there is first thing in the morning to relieve themselves and when i have to go out to the line or bin. If i was to put mine out in the garden and shut the door on them i think they would knock down the door to get back in. They do like it on a sunny day they will sit on the picnic bench and stretch out but then i am sitting beside them.

Dylan plays for ages in the garden, he eats my plants, rolls in the grass, runs up and down with his ball on a rope, steals and shreds my hospital paper work I need for Wednesday... yes he loves the garden. :rolleyes:

I only have a small garden, again they prefer a walk to the garden. They only go in the garden in a morning and last thing at night unless the weather is good and then they will sit outside with me.

Hi, this is my first post here! :) We have a one-year-old blenheim named Sasha.

We do not have a fenced in yard... as a result, Sasha is not allowed outside off-leash. We have two acres so I wouldn't let her out unsupervised anyway, due to animals like hawks, owls, raccoons, etc.

It was difficult in the winter, standing outside in the freezing rain & snow was especially unpleasant!

We got one of those electric fences & it helped Sasha to learn not to charge out the door. She also seems to know the boundaries, but we still are afraid to let her out off-leash even w/ this "fence"... she chases everything that moves & we're afraid she'd bust through while chasing something. As a result, we're out there w/ her, w/ the leash.

We've been thinking of fencing off part of the yard so she can run around off-leash.

Welcome to the board. :) At the risk of seeming very grumpy after a first post, though :lol:, I have to say that electric fences are controversial and really divide people.

Simply walking the dog on a leash, as you are clearly doing very successfully (y), is far preferable to using an electronic fence I think -- for my own part at least, I would never home a dog to a situation with an electric fence for so many reasons. To start with, from working in rescue I've seen dogs wearing electric collars regularly in the pound -- if they see something they really want to chase, they will go right thru, get shocked, and won't cross the barrier to come back. It is really sad because many of these dogs are never reclaimed but obviously someone took the time to put one of those collars on... to no avail.

It sounds like you are using it mainly as a door barrier but be sure you know what the negatives are to their use. Electronic collars have been known to malfunction and burn thru the necks of dogs and also can cause behaviour problems. I always suggest anyone considering using one at least put it on themselves and set it on the *highest* setting. Then walk through the barrier to feel what the dog feels. Many people say they try the collar on themselves and are happy it isn't that strong, but forget the little zap they feel as a 150 lb person is not like for like to what a 15 lb cavalier feels -- we need 10 times the strength of that jolt and to have the collar on its highest setting.

If at all possible, I think it is always much better to train your dog to do a reliable sit and down and recall, while also making sure a door is never opened where she can bolt and having secondary screen doors, for example. I have a house that opens directly on to the street, and just watch the door. I've never had a problem; I just make sure the dogs never have the chance to go out the front door by closing them in behind other doors. :)

Some pros and cons -- the initial article is con, but many people posted on both sides of the issue:

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/information/poppysopinions/shockcollars/

Don't give up, keep looking for your Cavalier! I do not have a fenced in yard, and I don't own my own home. I am a single gal, and I love in an apartment. I work 40 hours a week, so my dogs must stay home alone (I also have a toy Poodle, they adore each other and keep each other company). I'm lucky tho that my apartment is newer and in a small 9 unit building, I am on the end and in the back, so I can just go outside right out my patio doors to a nice small grassy backyard. Since I don't have a fence my dogs are always on the leash with me with them at all times. Just hang in there, you will find a breeder that will be more than willing to sell you a puppy, just because you don't have a fenced in yard should not make a bit of difference, most people do not have that luxury, so keep on looking! :)

Thanks, merlinsmun, cb2u, Remali for the input.

I just spoke to my dh. The majority of his customers has 2 or more Cavaliers in a non-fenced home. Granted they are not allow to roam unattended outdoors. They are also not adopted by way of local breeders. Reiterating because there are none located within 6 hour drive of our state. Research engine in gear again! :)

Simply walking the dog on a leash, as you are clearly doing very successfully (y), is far preferable to using an electronic fence I think -- (SNIP) To start with, from working in rescue I've seen dogs wearing electric collars regularly in the pound -- if they see something they really want to chase, they will go right thru, get shocked, and won't cross the barrier to come back.

Some pros and cons -- the initial article is con, but many people posted on both sides of the issue:

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/information/poppysopinions/shockcollars/

First of all thanks for the link, I'll read it later.

Secondly, you have confirmed what I believe about the electic fence... which is that if Sasha is chasing something, my gut feeling is she'll zoom right through it. This is why I won't ever let her offleash even w/ the fence. Some of my friends don't understand this & think I'm being overly neurotic, but I just can't take the chance.

In fact, she doesn't even wear the electronic collar at all. She no longer runs out the front door, so as far as I'm concerned, I'm happy.

We will be putting in a physical fence, & then she can run around freely w/ supervision. :)

Last edited:
Back