• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please Help

This is from www.diamondsintheruff.com and might help put some questions in context!:

Here are ten questions to help you decide
if you're really ready for the responsiblities of dog ownership:

1. Do I have enough time for a pet? Daily care includes affection, grooming, feeding, training and exercising.

2. Do I have adequate space and housing area (including a secure yard) for a dog?

3. Can I afford veterinary care, licensing, food, training and grooming costs? This can run up to thousands of dollars a year.

4. What would I do with my dog when I go on vacation or have to travel for my job?

5. Am I willing to obey community laws concerning animals?

6. Am I willing to be patient in training and housebreaking?

7. Can I deal with my favorite shoes being mauled, my furniture being chewed and all of the messes and accidents pets have?

8. Are my children responsible enough to help care for the dog? Will they be gentle with it and treat it well?

9. What happens if I move? Am I willing to deal with the frustrations of finding Bowser-friendly housing?

10. Am I willing to make a commitment to this dog for its entire life? Have I ever made a commitment that spans 15 years or more?

The rest of the page has some great links for researching puppies, finding a good breeder, etc. This is one of my favourite training sites. :) : http://www.diamondsintheruff.com/areyouready.html

You have all given me something to think about.... in your experiences, what would be the best age.... 1 year +?

I think by what has been said, perhaps (being a novice), I should start out with a young dog, but not a puppy?

Thank you Karlin for all the information you have provided, and I do apologise profusely for asking for information on Breeders in public view.

Hello - As i said earlier I have 3 Cavi's 2 of which were not puppies when I got them. Tilly was 8 months old when I got her and at that age, maybe I was lucky, but she was completly clean and excellent on lead, and had wonderful social skills. Pebbles was 3 when I got her and the same applied. Maybe give yourself an upper limit and a lower limit as far as age is concerned and find the dog/bitch which suits you best. Personally I would pick anything from 7 months - 3 years, Think about if you have a preference to male/female dog, that will narrow the search down. After thats its about going to have a look and see what you think of the dog. I saw 2 before I found Pebbles, they just were not right for me for various reasons but when I meet Pebbles and she was at the top of the age range, i knew straight away she was the one. Hope that helps

I would start by making list of what is important to you.
male/female, toilet trained, colour choice,good on lead.....
good on lead was important to me as pebbles was my third cavi and i did not have time to work one on one when I have 2 others to walk but if this is your first that may not be such an issue for you, you may have the time to lead train. A year old may not be completly clean yet you could find a 8 month old that is.
Does that make sense?

Perfect sense, thank you.

I really do like the look of the white and tan colour, and would probably prefer a bitch (two women around the house!!) :D but I am more interested in personality. We just want to place our love unconditionally in the hope that we will also receive love and loyalty in return. Whether that be from a dog or a bitch, who knows, but ultimately, we are just after companionship and another little character around the house. Both my husband and I have always been dog lovers, and have always wanted to have one, however, we were not in a place to have one when we first married, due to the long working hours, but now that my husband is home for the rest of the day from 1.30 pm, it makes more sense to make the leap perhaps early next year when I have managed to read up fully and find a few reputable breeders in my area, and make a few visits. I just hope people dont get annoyed with me and my questions, I just want to make a well-informed decision.

I have told my husband about this site, and he shares my views that it is a great forum to have. Karlin, well done on such a wonderful page! :)

So it would be a bleniem bitch you would be after.:)
You will get back double what you put in. They really are the most loving and loyal dogs. (Well i think so!!)
I personally would look for a little girl anywhere from 7 months upwards
Good luck and soooo excited for you!

Back