• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please help

Helenc

Hi all I posted before about my puppy and how I wanted to get her on a good schedule etc. I want to do what's best for her and in no way do I blame her but the situation right now is awful and I need help.

We got her just over 4 weeks ago - she was 8 weeks old. I met the mother and father of the litter. The reason I chose a cavalier King Charles is that I researched their nature and they were most likely (not guaranteed as its all about training I know) to be sweet natured.

Now please, I know she is just a baby, but I don't know what to do. She doesn't like me very much unless I'm feeding her it would seem. As long as the treats are coming, she is okay. When they stop, she attacks me. And when I say attack, I mean attack. It is not mouthing, it is growling snarling snapping biting jumping up. And this happens no matter what I do. Over tired? She bites. Too much energy? She bites. She plays with toys for a minute and then brings them to me and bites me. I crate her, I give her the run of the place - always ends in her snapping and biting even if I just leave her alone she seeks me out to bite.

I know I am being inconsistent trying new things with her schedule but this isn't working and I need help.

If we let her stay out as long as she likes, she has never ever settled. She just gets more and more manic, racing around and attacking us.

If I only take her out for food, toilet, and play sessions it's only ten minutes max before the biting starts so if I put her back in then that means she shall be spending most of her life in a crate and is not the solution.

What have I done to make her feel this way? She sometimes sits with me and allows me to pet her for a couple of minutes but only if she's come out of the crate Half asleep.

She sleeps well through the night. She sometimes looks happy to see me when I come in from not being here but I can't take much more of her hostility. I want to make it right.

Can anyone give me a good schedule idea (exact!) for a pup her age? I am home all day so can be really flexible.

Thanks for your help in advance.

I should add she sleeps nowhere near the 19-20 in 24 hours I read that pups did.

She sleeps about 6-10 in 24 hours a day I'd say, she always seems to be awake. Her crate is in the lounge so could we be disturbing her sleep? Just thought it was better she be around us as much as possible.

Sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your puppy. She is still very young, but you may want to check with your vet to see if anything medical is going on. I would also contact your breeder for advise. The biting can be attributed to teething.......I would always have something for her to chew available to help with that. Bully sticks are good for that or antlers. It does sound as if this is a more behavioral problem than a scheduling problem. Check into getting a trainer. In the meantime, download Dr. Ian Dunbar's FREE books on training.
http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads

I think she misses the rough play she had with her litter mates and uses you and parts of you for biting and scrapping with instead.

She's only a tiny baby yet and much patience is needed before she gets her adult teeth in and her behaviour settles down.

You could try wearing a tough glove for her to bite on such as one for gardening, or perhaps keep a toy in your hand for her to bite down on.

I assume the vet has checked her mouth and baby teeth?

I should take her to your vet. Taking a video of her behaviour would be helpful. This sort of behaviour can be caused by pain of some sort - by handling her you are hurting her (without meaning to, of course!) and she is defending herself, stopping you getting too close. I had something similar with a slightly older Cavalier puppy, who I knew had some health issues and possible brain damage (I knew what I was getting myself in for, the breeder was honest about it!) - when cuddled, picked up, brushed, he turned into a snarling, snapping fury, and with hindsight this was mostly due to pain, though at the time, like you, I just struggled with it.

Kate and Ruby

Back