• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poor Brooky

BrooklynMom

Brooklyn got desexed yesterday, and it turns out she was in heat! I had been watching out because we had her spayed at 6 months 3 weeks, so the vet just said to keep an eye on it, and since it is an elective surgery, if she is in heat...we will just wait. Well I had no idea! And I feel horrible because it made the surgery more complicated for Brooklyn and she will have a longer recovery time (she also had an umbilical hernia that had to be removed). The vet said, while it was a more complicated surgery, she would have never continued if it was going to be more risky and that she would be just fine...but the poor thing looks so unhappy :(

I brought her home last night, and she slept solid until 1:30 am...then cried this cry I have never heard before. So I got her out of her crate to see if she had to go to the bathroom, but she just sat outside and shook and cried :( So I brought her back in and she cried for the whole night. Calmed down early in the a.m. and is now sleeping on my lap.

I just cannot get her to go to the bathroom (I take her outside, and she just sits down and looks at me and whimpers), and she is shaky and just looks so much more uncomfortable than I thought she would be. Any advice? She is on some pain pills and anti inflammatory. I am going to call the vet right now too to get her thoughts, but I just feel like she is miserable and I don't know how to get her to go to the bathroom (she has peed once since I brought her home at 6 pm last night and no poos). And she just cries and cries.
She also is so scared of the cone on her head, but when I tried to take it off while we were cuddling, she went right for her stitches...so to be safe I had to just put it back on. But she doesn't like going into her crate because of it bumping on things (so I brought her bedding out of her crate), and if she sniffs or bumps her head with it on she freaks out too.

If anyone has any advice to help her I would love it!

Aw, that's what Rose did the first night/day too- not much crying, but lots of shaking and not wanting to do anything. She did pee and poop the first night, though, but she also ate some "dog gruel" (watered down canned food) that night, so that may have helped things get moving. I think part of Rose's problem when I first brought her home was that she was a little dehydrated after not drinking for so long (from personal experience, I know this makes pain worse). Is she eating anything and drinking? Maybe she needs a better pain med?

I figured that Rose would not be very keen on the "lampshade", so I bought an inflatable collar ring, but it was too wide for her. I ended up using the baby onesie I got at the dollar store, and I went to the thrift store and got her a heavier material onesie. I just put it on "backwards" (from putting it on a baby), and cut a hole for her tail. My best friend's vet sends her spays home with a surgery shirt of some sort (I haven't seen it) instead of a cone. Rose wasn't too terrible about messing with her stitches, though, so I don't know if that will work with a dog who is determined or not. She also slept in the crook of my arm, so she would wake me up if she reached over to get at her stitches.

Poor Brooklyn, I hope she's feeling better very soon!

Last edited:
Here's the post that had me going and buying Rose onesies! (I couldn't find it, scroll down to post #19)

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?37831-Rose-is-getting-spayed-tomorrow.../page2

And here is Rose in one of hers. These are 18 month ones (Rose is just over 13 lbs), but if I could have found a 24 month one, I would have had more room to take up the neck and make it fit a bit better ;) .

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?37831-Rose-is-getting-spayed-tomorrow.../page3

Thanks so much for the advice. Yeah, the vet said to just watch her for the next 5 hours, and if I am worried at all to just pop her in no charge, at least for peace of mind. They can check her out, check her temp and give her a shot pain med. She might just need a larger pain med as her surgery was more complicated than most. I think with the cold wave that just hit Sydney, she is not able to keep warm as well (part from the operation, part from the weather), so the vet sent me off to get a hot water bottle too. I hand fed her some scrambled eggs and chicken this morning (lucky girl, no kibble!) and she ate that. I also just put down her pee pads in the spot where she used to used them when she was a wee pup, so if she goes, she goes. I dont want to force her outside anymore. Oh, and the vet told me to get her a little fleece or something to warm her up.
She just has the new wimper that will tear your heart stings out. I am cuddling her like mad though and that makes her happy. She isnt allowed in our bed, and I don't want to un train that part, but I might sleep in the guest bedroom and just bring her in bed with me there (we don't mind if she hangs out in the guest bedroom).

I am off to get her some things to help, and I will have to leave her for an hour, poor lady. She usually does just fine alone, but she is hating it now...even when I took a shower, she wailed! But she is in a safe place behind the baby gate with a lot of blankets and things, so I just have to let her be.

I'll keep you guys posted if I head to the vet. Don't want to be over worried mama, but don't want her in pain either. Hard to walk the line!

Oh...and the onsie idea is awesome. I actually bought one after you posted about Rose, but unfortunetly, Brooklyn is IN her stitches the second the cone comes off, and the onsie just wont protect her. Too bad too, because she looks pretty cute in it! ;)

Aw, oh well about the onesie, poor girl. I know what you mean about her not leaving them alone- I had to take a cat back to the vet because she managed to get to hers and get some out! Thankfully, it was "just" the surface ones, but :yikes !
Hopefully, things will be better tomorrow.:hug:

Here are some shots of the recovery lady! You can see by the last one that she is starting to get her spunk back by smiling for the camera (she smiles with her eyes...like she grins so hard when I say "Look!" that her eyes close, ha).
Poor baby, she is really whiny and confused and whimpering...but she is getting a lot of homemade food and cuddles that is for sure. The vet gave us a fleece vest type thing to help keep her shivering under control (her body temp was dropping and she just couldnt keep warm). Anyway, here is the cone head in all her glory:

IMG_0776 by kelseykakes5, on Flickr

IMG_0780 by kelseykakes5, on Flickr

IMG_0782 by kelseykakes5, on Flickr

Smile mom, I'm on the up and up!
5712791272_656270866b.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0789 by kelseykakes5, on Flickr

Poor little lady! I hope she starts to feel like herself soon!

Your being a great recovery nurse to her!(y)

Hope she is feeling better.

The extra risk is actually very small but many vets will wait til midheat again. I have spayed several rescue dogs in heat (or repeat false pregnancies) with no issues, ever. Most rescues do not have the luxury of getting a foster who will take an in-heat dog plus keep her for three more months so it is better to spay then,so many of us do this and I've yet to hear of a problem.

Aww poor Brooklyn. Hope she's feeling better soon. I remember when my two got desexed we all moved down to the floor so they wouldn't jump up.

Ha, yes Deb...there is a lot of "floor living" going on in this house!

On her first night home, she woke up at 1:30 am and just whimpered so badly, and all she wanted was me...so I just laid on the bathroom floor with her, curled up for hours.
Never thought I would be the dog owner who does that! Ha. Oh well, if I can make her a bit happier to get through this, I will! She is happier today, has more energy, but still has the whimpers going. It's not a sound I have ever head come out of her, it's just like this faint whine to no where.

I'm a big softy, I'd have moved my pillows and blanket to the floor to sleep with her.....and of course, you KNOW Claire knows I am like this and plays me all the time :(

aww, sorry to hear that she's having a rough time. Piper had his hernia done at the same time too. I had a difference experience then you though. He was out of it the first day and slept a lot. The next day he acted like his normal self. The only isssue was that he was a licker too so I had to keep the cone on. We also had one minor complication which was a reaction to the suture material a few weeks later. His body is just not breaking it down so even now 6 weeks later it all bumpy and hard.
I hope Brooklyn feels better soon!

Back