• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Poor Lily

Ah, poor little darling, obviously shaken up and needs her peace and rest to recover from such a trauma. Hope tomorro will bring us good news and that Lily will be feeling so much her old self. Must have been awful for you too and so nice of you to take this picture of your doggie, knowing that we were all thinking of her. This really takes me back to what happened in Cyprus with poor Lucy our Beagle. A month later she suffered a snake bite, but not fatal I hasten to add! Hope Lily has a peaceful and painfree night. On a lighter note, please tell the wasps not to travel to Wexford!

Poor little girl. I hope she is better in the morning. Thanks for the dosage lists, I was going to ask for them. :hug: for Lily and you.

Well, that's it. I'm putting together my first aid kit and putting it in the car! Thank goodness you knew what to do and had the supplies on hand. Thanks for updating the health info for us. Glad Lily's feeling better...poor little girl. Doesn't it just kill you when you can't explain to them what has happened and tell them they will feel better?!:(

I'm glad Lily is ok, she doesn't look too happy in the pic. We saw quite a few wasps yesterday and some were mating. Must be getting ready for the next season.

Any news on Lily today as she has been in my thoughts? Just hope all is well and that she is getting over her ordeal, sweet little girl that she is.

Oh she is full of beans again -- she was doing fine by our last walk last night. It does seem that the first two hours are especially uncomfortable for them. I will put a first aid kit into the car now for them -- it is ridiculous that I didn;t have it yesterday when needed and she had to wait and extra 30-40 minutes to get some relief.

Those ground wasps are *nasty*. They burrow down into their fur and will sting repeatedly. I pulled about 5 of them off her and she'd been stung several times by then. :( I thught we were ovr and done with wasps by now but the weather has been mild and I guess not. I have walked dogs in that area all the time for 4 years and never had this happen til this year.

So glad to hear Lilly is her old self again. May I please ask Karlin if a vet will actually give Benadril to me to keep as a first aid precaution? We have also noticed quite a few wasps during the warmer days of last week and even though we are fortunate that our vet is in the village, he is often out on calls, so I feel in the event of a wasp sting I would prefer not to have to depend on him and be able to treat my dog immediately to save him pain and discomfort.

That is awful! Now Jaspar is a sitting duck as he's the only one who hasn't been swarmed! :(

How were the boy reacting, were they freaked out? Was Lily nervous the next time you took her out?

Last edited:
Poor Lily. Glad she is better now but they do feel a lot of pain at the time!

Our Lucy was stung by a wasp a couple of months ago, while on a walk. My husband had to carry her home - just 10 minutes walk - as she was shaking, couldn't walk and was really upset. 20 minutes after the sting her paw had swelled up to about twice its normal size and she was breathing all rapid so we got her to the vet and had the cortisone and painkillers. By the next day she was jumping on and off chairs and quite happy but it scared us at the time.

Aw, poor Lily! I'm so happy we don't have many wasps in Iceland. I would've panicked, phew! If somethings happens to my dogs I just get hysteric....

Jen, the boys were oblivious to her -- they just wanted to keep running around having fun. Typical boys! :rolleyes:

I think she was stung perhaps once that time Leo was stung badly, so I was pretty sure she wouldn't swell up. That's always the real concern. I'm glad I have the benedryl tablets now. I wasn;t able to find the same thing here in Ireland but a chemist would probably know the main ingredient. I know you are supposed to get the plain old formula, not the one with anything extra in it.

Thanks for that Karlin, so will ask my Vet for the equivalent here so that I can keep it with me on walks. Just not worth taking the risk really.

Back