• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

ruby doing great after spay but is she going to go mad?

ruby2

My mother says ruby will go off her head in the next day or two when the stitches start tightening after the spay? This happened with her bishon frise after her spay. Does this happen to every dog after the spay?? My mother had to bring her dog back to the vet and get spray for the stitched area and more painkillers..:eek:
Am i to wait for this to happen? Does it always happen? Ruby is doing great with her onesie sewed onto the collar. Well this is her fifth one sewed onto the collar. I bought a pack of ten in dunnes and i am just dumping them as i take them off. I wont need them again. She is with me alot so i dont have the onesie on her all the time. Im letting the stitches get some air. She is very good and not at the stitches at all really at the moment. Stitches are due to come out on saturday?:confused:

The stitches will only get tight if the wound gets inflamed, if your keeping it clean and dry there shouldn't be any problem, and it is better left open. Suki' wound became inflamed about 7 days after her op - but once the stitches were out she was much more comfortable

Good Luck

No that wouldn;t at all be normal for them to go craxzy because the stitches are tight. I've never had that happen yet.

I didn't notice anything like that with Daisy's spay. And we didn't have her in an e-collar or a onesie at all. She maybe only tried to lick the stitches once or twice, total. The doctor's main concern was keeping her from jumping up or down from the furniture or doing too many staires. He just told us to watch her and make sure she wasn't licking or biting at the stitches. If she wouldn't stop, then he said we'd have to think about an e-collar, etc. But it wasn't a problem at all. And when they took the stitches out, only one of them caused a little whimper. It looked like a huge ugly incision to me, which upset me as I was told it would only be about 2 inches long, but it healed just fine and now you can't even see it if you are looking for it!

Thanks for the replies. Ruby's stitches lookk great so far anyway. Im watching her like a hawk to make sure she is not at them. She is with me most of the time anyway. Its great to get her to this age. She is excellent with the toilet training and we can leave her around the house downstairs and sit with us when we watching dvd in the night after the children gone to bed, with no accidents thank god. Its now we are really getting to enjoy her. Hopefully i shouldnt have a problem then with the stitches. Thank god for that.
p/s my mother gave her bishon frise to be groomed today and the poor thing is skinned alive !!!!!!!! And my mother told her not to take alot off !!!! I said to myself,,,,,they wont get their hands on my ruby!!!!:cool:

No that wouldn;t at all be normal for them to go craxzy because the stitches are tight. I've never had that happen yet.

I have to agree with Karlin-- Between my dogs and the rescues we've had-- we've never had this happen. Actually, the stitches sometimes loosen and I've had one or two come untied. But they've never gotten tighter.

I have to agree with Karlin-- Between my dogs and the rescues we've had-- we've never had this happen. Actually, the stitches sometimes loosen and I've had one or two come untied. But they've never gotten tighter.

Thats actually a very good point.....they do seem to be getting looser looking. is that ok??????????? If they become untied is that ok???? Just noticed that a few minutes ago!!!!!:xfngr:

Last edited:
Ruby is doing great thank god. She is due the stitches out this coming saturday. I have the onesie off her now except for night time. So far she is not at the stitches at all. Just a little note to update you all that have to get spays yet........well not you guys !!! the dogs !!:jump:

Suki's stitches did get tight but her wound did get inflamed as she had managed to get her tongue through the gap in her buster collar!! - I initially thought that Ralph had been interfering with her wound but then caught her licking the wound :mad:

Back