• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Safe chewies?

I know you are right Barbara, Phoebe is quite capable of sit, stay etc, but at a training class when it's a choice between me and my crummy treats, and a bouncy five month old Red Setter on her left and a manic six month old Jack Russell on her right........well, you can guess the rest!! Pheebs thought her first training class was a good excuse for a kissfest:rolleyes:

I would not give a dog any cooked bone because they could splinter and get swallowed, causing a blockage and other trouble.

I'm not an expert on bones at all, but I have let lucky have raw marrow bones on a few occassions which he really likes. I would not give him any cooked bones.

I've just started Lucky on raw, but I think a lot of raw feeders give raw marrow bones. (around here they sell them cheaply in the butcher section of the grocery store).

I'm confused. Is rawhide safe?

yes and no---- They can choke, or swallow pieces so large that they cause blockages. They also can clean teeth and exercise the mouth and jaw. This is why I like cow ears (BUT only under supervision). To complicate things further, make sure they are made in the USA, so they aren't preserved with toxins.

Monty, twice , nearly choked because he swallowed a 2-3 " strip, which must have stuck in the back of his throat,, it being soft and flexible from chewing. On the third and last occasion, he swallowed the hide down and then was sick over and over all night, heaving to bring it up, but unable.

The latter case was the most dangerous, I gather,as last year, Teddy stole and swallowed the 'tongue' from the front of a leather shoe (from a shelf-he didn't chew the shoe). Worried about this, I rang the vet to ask if i should make him sick, to bring it up, but he said not too, as this could cause choking.-

We never did find this piece of leather despite examining his poo for days. It must have been tender enough to digest, so that's why pups chew shoes ? :p

Back