• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

So I guess Pedigree Dogs Exposed was RIGHT?

Hi HollyDolly

Do you think another SGM is needed to deal with this persons abusive gesture the way she has brought the cav world into disrepute .Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.(y)

Well it's certainly worth thinking about but I feel so sure they will close ranks it will be like:bang:
Now with the support of the KC every cloud has a silver lining, and I think that club will be feeling very sorry for themselves, so while I would not wish anyone to go through what Margaret went through it is the best possible outcome.
Chatting to Barbara Reese (I have her permission) setting up another ckcs club would be far from easy if you wanted it to have the support of the KC. One would also need the support of two ckcs clubs:eek:

I was wondering if it could be a club in addition to the CKCS club. They would continue to show and use the registry at KC and be members of the CKCS club, but they would also belong to a second club, not connected to KC, which is exclusively health focused. So only KC breeders committed to breed health could belong to the second club. That's how pet owners could identify and support the best breeders. Just a thought!

The CKCSC existed as a breed-only registry for cavaliers in the US for years before the ACKCSC was formed within the AKC, and they still remain separate. The CKCSC is very well established, has its own shows and so on. A range of breeds have breed-only registries of this sort. There's no reason why a separate club couldn't exist. However the option is also there to change the way in which breed clubs operate. That would seem the intention of the KC. If it isn't, then why worry about whether a breed club will be recognised by the KC?

I was wondering if it could be a club in addition to the CKCS club. They would continue to show and use the registry at KC and be members of the CKCS club, but they would also belong to a second club, not connected to KC, which is exclusively health focused. So only KC breeders committed to breed health could belong to the second club. That's how pet owners could identify and support the best breeders. Just a thought!

I think that would be a wonderful idea, putting into practise would take much commitment. Perhaps a working party is needed to find out all the pros and cons and take it from there.

The costs of running shows and maintaining a registry could be kept within the KC. The health focused club could just focus on checking health documents and keeping health records. They wouldn't have to bear the costs of everything else. It would allow the 2nd club to keep dues as low as possible. The benefit to breeders in the health focused club would be puppy buyer referrals!

I'm very disappointed by the subtle suggestion that those highlight syringomyelia or indeed problems with pedigree dogs are somehow part of a conspiracy by animal rights activists to plot the downfall of pedigree dogs!!.. or that somehow only puppy mill cavaliers have thrown syringomyelia.
I find that extremely sinister and smacks of a last ditch desperate attempt to deny the existence of SM in the breed.

Sins

It's the classic, pathetic attempt to discredit anyone that is interested in healthy dogs. Try to align everyone with extremist animal rights groups, even though these same people complain bitterly about being lumped together with puppy millers/puppy farmers and BYBs.

David Cavill on pedigree dogs exposed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njPsECODIBs

Has anyone seen this yet? I searched for david cavill and found no previous conversations --- a friend of mine pointed this video to me. The video is on youtube and its duration is approximately 10 minutes. In the very beginning Mr. Cavill expresses his opinion on the document's facts being a little loose and how the documentary has seriously distorted some statements just to gain some momentum and headlines.

He starts like this: "Firstly a few facts..." and goes on introducing a fact that he has a groomer friend, who sees dozens of cavaliers every month and has never ever seen any cavaliers that would have the same symptoms as the documentary describes. He says that is not surprising as the estimate is only 2% and that the program implies the figure to be 15 times bigger, i.e. up to 30%. He then says that it is not itself untrue (what? to think the figure might be higher??) --- but I do not understand what he means by this. Pardon me for not understanding a word he says, because it sounds like he is still stating that the correct figure is the forementioned estimate of 2%.

So. Have we just jumped on a bandwagon together with other people who have been gullible enough to believe the headlines? I am a little surprised that he has chosen to begin his statement --- as sound as it is otherwise (but I still cannot really get the whole point of making it) --- referring to a dog groomer who has never even seen SM symptoms as a way of backing up (?) or to clarify his claim that SM is not such a problem in the breed as the documentary makes one believe.... I would not like to see him make these claims in public with SM-cavalier-owners in presence... :rolleyes:

He starts like this: "Firstly a few facts..." and goes on introducing a fact that he has a groomer friend, who sees dozens of cavaliers every month and has never ever seen any cavaliers that would have the same symptoms as the documentary describes.
:

if you'd asked my boss at the groomers she would have said all cavaliers bite ( they didnt like her for some reason ) will they be so quick to accept that as a fact ?

One of the cavaliers I groom has sm. he has no symptoms but he had an mri for something else & it showed up.

A couple of years ago i'd have said i'd never seen a dog with sm , as my girl scratched away at my feet with her "skin problem"

This is in today's K9Magazine and UK Guardian. I'm not subscribed to UK Guardian

Posted By Ryan O'Meara Date: 24/10 Posted Under: Dog News Pedigree, the Mars owned dog food brand will not be sponsoring Crufts next year.
The pet food giant has cited a ‘business review’ as its main reason.
A Mars spokesperson would not comment on whether the decision was based around the documentary Pedigree Dogs Exposed.
The decision is a further blow to the Kennel Club who suffered the high profile withdrawals of the RSPCA, Dogs Trust and NDWA.
Pedigree’s decision to pull their brand’s support comes at a time when the BBC is reviewing its position with regard to its ongoing coverage of the UK’s largest dog show event.
The company issued a very brief statement:
After careful consideration, Pedigree has decided to withdraw its sponsorship of Crufts
http://www.dogmagazine.net/archives/1123/pedigree-withdraws-crufts-sponsorship/

Back