• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Temperament vs. Environment Question

LorifromGA

This is mainly an academic-type question. I'm giving a lecture next week to my Advanced Developmental Psych class on the interaction between temperament, which is currently considered largely genetic in humans, and environment. There's something called a "goodness of fit" model by which parents can change their child's temperament somewhat (for good or bad) by the parenting style they choose. In other words, temperament is what you're born with, but the personality you end up with seems to be a result of both your genetic temperament and your experiences.

So here's my question: To what degree do you believe that there are true inborn temperamental differences in dogs of the same breed? Maybe I should narrow the question down even more and ask about dogs within the same litter. I assume there are some differences because 1) the breeders will tell you a little about the personalities of each one, and 2) you can kind of see when you're looking at the puppies which ones are more outgoing than others. Are their personalities largely a result of environment, socialization, their size compared to others in the litter, or breeding practices? Do they tend to take on the temperaments of their parents? Not being a breeder, I have no idea about the answers. How soon after they're born do they start showing differences in their temperaments?

I know that my two Cavs have quiite different personalities, with Jasper being much more shy and gentle than Josie, even when he was a puppy like she is now. However, he had a traumatic early experience with his previous owner before he was 4 months old, and that may have influenced his temperament. They came from the same breeder but different parents. Dudley, the Cav we lost, was highly neurotic, but I always wondered if that was because the breeder let him go at 6 weeks.

Finally, how easy is it to change a dog's temperament with "good parenting" once you get him home? I guess those of you who rescue might be able to answer this one. With Dudley, we were able to tone down his neuroticism a little, but honestly, not a whole lot.

Thanks in advance for your responses. I thought it would be interesting in class to talk about differences between humans and animals regarding the temperament vs. environment interaction.

Lori

Personally I believe some are born good ,some "bad" but most are inbetween & can go either way.

I've had some lovely dogs rescued from abusive situations & others have had nice upbringings & still had poor temperment

When my boy was newborn the breeder said he was the calmest , didnt make a noise when picked up unlike his sister who would scream. He has remained very laid back

Back