• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Toilet Training (kind of) Question

FidoRusty

Hi, me and my wife have 2 Cavs, Fido who is 1 this week and Rusty who is 5 months, both have are very well toilet trained and go to our Patio door when they need to do their business. The only problem we have is Fido has started lifting his leg up to wee and as a result he is getting it all over his leg and under his lovely long belly hair. And is beginning to stink and we dont want to have to keep bathing him as its not great for all his natural oils etc. Has anyone else had their dog do this. We are now considering getting him trimmed underneath and his 2 front legs but we never wanted to be drastic with cutting his hair. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I think they might get a bit better at aiming :D when they are a little older. Beau used to pee all over his chest hair when he first started cocking his leg, but after a few months he seemed to get it sorted. During that time, I kept a box of unscented baby wipes and I'd give his chest hair a rub down a few times per day.... plus bath him a little more frequently that I would normally do.

One of my guys does this, and since he's older, he's not going to outgrow it I guess. The baby wipes help, but sometimes he still gets that sticky feeling. So, instead of a full bath, I just pop him in the sink and only wash his belly and front legs (not too much shampoo). Since I've trimmed his belly and back of his front legs a little bit, he's dry in no time. It's more work, but worth it IMO. The white hair will turn yellow if you don't keep on top of it.;)

Yeah we have had a little Yellow hair lately and we have upped his baths to twice a week. He has been cocking his leg up for the past 2 maybe 3 months but aswell as cocking his leg up he also does a part stoop like when he was a puppy so its just going everywhere. Also it seems to be more when he covers our little Rustys wee up that his aim gets worse.

Sometimes the boys get better aim as they get a little larger and get better balance etc (one of my boys did) and sometimes they don't. It can also depend on the length of their legs and body overall, and how heavy the coat is. You don't really need to totally bathe him though -- simply washing off his 'misses' with water will take off the urine. You can just spot shampoo his undercarriage or legs and rinse as needed, but no need to give a full bath.

Though most people notice the boys missing their aim, I actually find the girls are much messier as the long hair on their hindquarters and legs gets dipped at least slightly into urine every time they pee. Male urine tends to smell a bit stronger so is likely more noticeable but if people gave their girls' hindlegs a sniff they will very likely find their females have this issue too!

You know you can teach them to go back to squatting if they still squat sometimes. Praise the squatting and say uh uh when he approaches his favourite tree! Works most of the time here. :p

Back