• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

U.S. Confusiion

Rosewoodsteel

U.S. Club Confusion

UKC
My dog, Charlie McFarlie, was purchased at a pet shop. (A friend of my bought him for his daughter and couldn’t keep him.) The pet store papers indicated that his dam and sire were registered to the UKC. I don’t know if this meant the United Kennel Club or the “Universal” Kennel Club, as only the acronym is found on the paperwork. –I understand the “Universal” Kennel Club is a shill registry for the puppy mill business. The “Broker” listed on Charlie’s sales receipt was the Hunte Corporation.

AKC
I’ve seen a number of links / threads indicating that the American Kennel Club (AKC) supports large scale Breeders (the Hunte Corporation and others). How can they do this and still maintain that they “advance canine health and well-being”? And, why would I want to be associated and/or register a puppy with them since puppy mills are anathema to me?

American Cavalier King Charles Spaniel vs Cavalier King Charles spaniel Club- USA
The ACKCS indicates it is the Parent Club of the AKC. The CKCSC-USA says that it is the original CKCS club. Is one better than another and why? (For reasons noted above, the AKC affiliation may be a negative to me.)

These, I believe, are the main clubs. There are others.

So, how does one navigate this maze and make sense of it? Which clubs truly serve the best interests of our Cavaliers?

My understanding is the CKCSC-USA is the original Club. A lot of show people show their dogs in both the CKCSC and the AKC and some have duel champions.

AKC doesn't support puppy mills in the sense that they give them money or anything but they look the other way to the atrocities that are going on there. They don't do inspections of the facilities so as long as both parents are AKC registered, they'll register the puppies. Lots of pet stores are selling mixes now, those are not AKC registered but probably UKC. My understanding that any "Kennel Club" other than AKC (UKC, CKC - continental kennel club) are shill registries for puppy millers. Even though I agree that the AKC could do a better job regulating breeders, if I were getting a dog I'd expect it to be AKC registered. And, most importantly, I'd do everything that is mentioned on this site in terms of ensuring parents are health testing and asking to see the parents and their certificates. I doubt that any CKC or UKC breeder is going to be able to deliver that.

Good luck in your search. If I were you I'd begin my search with the breed club (Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club - USA).

Back