• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update on Josie

LorifromGA

In a nutshell, things are going beautifully! Josie is a delight and is a very quick learner. She already knows her name and knows the "come" and "go potty" command. She's had no pee accidents in the house :xfngr: but did have diarrhea on the kitchen floor on her first full day home. Poor little thing. She couldn't help it. She's recovering from a bout of ghiardia and is still having some diarrhea from it (although she's now negative for ghiardia). She's on medication, which is helping tremendously, and has had two normal poops outside since last night. I also have her on nothing but boiled chicken, rice, and plain yogurt to help her tummy settle.

We're crate training her to help with housetraining, and it's a godsend. Unlike Jasper, she loves her crate and goes in happily. (Thanks to the breeder, who began crate training a few weeks ago...) So far she's slept all night in her crate without needing to go out, probably because we've also limited food and water intake in the evenings. When she's not in her crate, she's under my constant supervision or is gated off in an area of the kitchen. Needless to say, she does NOT have full run of the house. Jasper doesn't, either. When I take her out to potty, I tell her "Go potty!" and then sort of ignore her until she goes. She wants me to pick her up, but I don't pay any attention to her until she's done her business. Then I praise her lavishly. It's working great so far. Having Jasper out there showing her what she needs to do helps, too. :D So far she's been much easier than Jasper was when we first got him.

Jasper and Josie are getting along great! I was really worried about how Jasper would cope with having a puppy around, but he seems to really love her. He puts her in her place when she tugs on his ears, but other than that, he tolerates a great deal from her. We're just thrilled. Last night I was lying in bed reading with my two babies on my lap, and our family finally felt complete again. There's been an empty spot since Dudley died.

We're on our way back to the breeder's now so that she can get her CERF stuff done at the vet school. I dread taking her back! We'll get her back tonight, but I'm going to miss her! I hope she doesn't get confused and thinks we're giving her back to the breeder... :eek:

Better run. Thank you, everyone, for all your housetraining tips. They've been a godsend!

Lori

Back