• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Very Large puppy - corncern?

newtodogs

Hi

I posted here a while ago, when Scooby wasa baby buty have been a browser of the site since then. I have 2 puppies now, Scooby is nearly 1 now and Freddie was born on christmas day, so is 4 1/2 months old now.

Scooby weighs 8.4 kg (18.5lb) he seems fully grown and a nice size.

Freddie weighs 6.2kg already (13.6lb) at just 4 1/2 months.

my dad has Freddies sister from the same litter and she is around 4kg (8.8lb). Freddie is already bigger than my dads other 2 dogs who are also coming up to a year old (one is 6.2kg and the other around 6.8kg i think).

Freddie was always big as a pup, noticably bigger than his sister but we thought he was just a big boy, now i'm not so sure. I searched for topics on weight and saw the 3 pictures of underweight, ok and overweight dogs, i'd say he was between ok and overweight. you can see the "in" of his waist and feel his ribs without too much pressure.

So could he just be an exceptionally big Cavalier?

Thanks for any help or advice you can give.

Hi
There is quite a big variance in size my four range in weight from 7.6 k to 10.9 k and Poppy who is the 10.9 k is a bigger girl overall though to look at them they all look fine and have a nice waist, but I am still after a bit more weight of her just to help towards a healthy heart .Don't take too much notice of the breed standard weight unless of course you plan to show as most Cavaliers now are generally slightly bigger just like todays generation of kids .

Best Wishes

brian:)

There is so many different weights at Cavalier.. as Brian said like todays generation of kids :*bay:
I'll mean Freddie it a big puppy but not in the danger zone.

Here is mine dogs weight scale

Weight.jpg

Yes, he could just be an exceptionally big puppy!

We got Clancy at 14 weeks of age, and he already weighed 12 lbs. As an adult, he is 1/3 taller than our average size (20 lb) Cavalier, Dillon. He is a bit overweight now, at 38 lbs., from his epilepsy meds. But other than that, he is perfectly healthy. I call him my SUV Cavalier. :-D

Back