• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

when do i start feeding once a day?

ruby2

First of all i would like to thank all for the answer to my question about two weeks ago, about my cav pooing behind the utility door. Some suggested using a crate and some said she had too much space. Well i moved my gate and put her just in the downstairs bathroom in the night time and she is brilliant. Not even a wee when i get up the following morning, never mind anything else.
Thats a huge difference instead of opening to door in on top of .........

anyway my question is this time.... When do i start feeding ruby once a day and at approx what time?? She is only 4 and a half months yet. Im presuming not for a few months yet. I,m having different people telling me different things.

I still feed my adult dogs twice a day..I just divide their daily amount in two.I find it better that way ...the whole lot seems to be too much for them in one go..It's really a matter of what is easiest for you..with regard to cutting down feeds,how many is she getting at the moment?

I still feed mine twice/day. I find that it helps me make our dinner if they are happily munching on theirs and if I didn't do two feedings, a couple of mine will vomit bile.
I have a 13 week old rescue that is getting 3 meals and 2 snacks.

A puppy the age of yours is probably still on three meals daily waiting to go to two... Two meals daily is generally considered better than feeding one alone but some (including me!) feel many people will overfeed cavaliers on two meals, because they buy food dishes that are way too large (cat dish size is the right size...) and then 'top up' the tiny amount of half a meal fed twice as the dish is practically empty -- and their dogs quickly get fat. I feed one meal, but give a bit of food (James Wellbeloved treat, all natural) in the evenings so they are not sleeping on an empty stomach. Some dogs (like my Leo) get an upset stomach if it is totally empty, and vomit.

There are feeding guidelines for cavaliers here:

www.roycroftcavaliers.com/manualfeeding.htm

You probably will want to bookmark that page as it is full of useful advice on feeding.

I'm feeding ruby twice a day at moment on pedigree puppy food because thats what she was on when i got her from the breeder first day.
She doesnt like it dry so i give it to her in the morning with hot water and a little milk.
In the evening around 4.30 or 5pm i give her the sachet of pedigree puppy food with the chicken and rice or the lamb and rice etc. And thats her last feed for the day. Is this ok? I have been told by my vet to give her what we are eating but i usually stick to the pedigree as it seems to agree with her. I have given her potatoes peas gravy and chicken once or twice and she loved!!!!! :razz:

Glad to hear that her toilet issue is resolving itself!!

I too feed mine twice a day, as for what exact time, well that is purely down to what suits you, I vary the evening feed time otherwise they're all queueing up by the feed cupboard looking very hopeful :lol:

Both mine eat twice daily - i think its easier that way, 24 hours between meals seems a long time, I think Ralphie would probably die if he had to wait too long in between meals;)
I think at 4 1/2 months she should still be having 3 meals per day although i found that Ralphie wasnt much interested in his third meal from about 5 months so cut down to two, plus i divide the daily allowance in two. I have got larger (Spaniel type) steel bowls than i need but am aware of that fact so dont give anymore than they should be having, also i regularly weigh them just to make sure i'm not overfeeding

I give the main meal in the morning so that they run it off through the day and a small meal in the evening, my Shelties have the sickness problem as well on an empty tummy, but then I don't feel great either being hungry and on the go! wonder if it's the same for them?
I dropped down to two meals at about 6 months when they were pups, they were all so very different in their own needs.

Alison.

I'd switch to something of better quality than Pedigree -- any food from a supermarket has very poor protein sources (eg from animals not fit for human consumption -- that is why they are so cheap). For Irish dog owners I generally recommend Burns, James Wellbeloved or Royal Canin as all are available from good pet shops. I recommend the largest bags as this is a far cheaper way to buy food than lots of small bags. I put food into an airtight plastic container I got from Royal Canin.

www.zooplus.ie is also a great source of top foods that you can have sent to your door.

Sorry but Pedigree is a pretty poor quality food, I'd try weaning her onto something better. There are many threads about good quality food if you do a search. I personally recommend James Wellbeloved and Royal Canin. (y)

Edit: :lol: Karlin, you beat me to it!

i'll do that thanks. The vet actually sells pedigree which is a bit unusual i suppose. They also sell burns i think. I'll have a good look into it. thanks for all the replies. I should do something about my own eating now!!!!!

How many of us had like loads and loads of choc over the last week. I always buy the easter eggs and end up eating them myself. I was in tesco last week and had to buy for my son the two that i had taken on him before i could go and buy the rest....and that was after already buying one for him already and eating that and buying another.
And told my husband i wanted the huge creme egg easter egg in the local shop. The poor fella had to get up for work ten minutes earlier than usual to get it for me so it wouldnt be gone. I can't get back into good eating. There are still roughly 7 easter eggs in the house and my mum came today with 3 boxes of roses................................................
Anyone feel the same???????????
:bang::xctly:eek:k will we hit the gym??:wggle::w**h**::w*w:

I will always feed my dogs twice a day

My adults, as well as my 7 mo old pup all eat twice a day but you have to be consistent and measure the food every time, no "topping off" because it doesn't look like enough. My oldest Cav is overweight and we're working on that- I was feeding her the recommended dosage on the back of the bag and it was about DOUBLE what I should really be feeding her! I have done a lot of research on foods and think it is a wise investment to feed them the best. It's not that much more in the long run!

When you're looking for a good dog food, the first five ingredients should include at least TWO protein sources (chicken, fish, etc. and it's OKAY to say "chicken meal"). But corn should NOT be in the first five. Look for rice, barley, millet, oatmeal, potatoes etc for the grain source.

Personally, I feed my puppy Orijen Puppy, and my adults (I switch around) are currently eating Innova EVO, both very high quality protein-rich foods.

Here are the first five ingredients of the Orijen: fresh chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, steamed potatoes, & Norwegian whitefish.

I notice a difference in their coat quality depending on the food. You may experience a few days of runny stool when you switch however. Imagine if we ate nothing but fast food and then went on an all-natural diet with lots of ruffage. Our stomachs would take some time to adjust but we would feel a million times better and be a lot healthier too! :)

Oh, and just an opinion about feeding your dog what you eat; If you want to feed her some human food, make sure it has no added salt; plain chicken and veggies (except onions) are fine. But stay away from gravies, casseroles, etc. as they have waaaaaayyyyy too much salt for a dog.

Good luck!

I was feeding mine royal canin mini light and was giving the recommended amount but my dogs got quite chunky..I now feed royal canin for cavs and give less than the recommended amount but at the evening meal top up with veg..They are losing weight already..they were never really heavy but I can see how it could easily happen..recommendations on packs are only a guide. Pippin was the one that was getting really chunky but had him at the vets the other day and he said he is fine at around 7 1/2 kilos ( he wouldn't stay still on the scale!) Pippin is a small dog who is inclined to put up weight easily.As was already mentioned RC for cavs is from 10 months on but there is RC junior..your local pet sore should be able to advise.

As for the chocolate issue..what chocolate? Oh you mean all the chocolate I ate over the weekend even though I said I would make it last the week!

Last edited:
Back