• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Yogurt

Rowanfae

My little girl, Tilly, is only four months old. She’s still on puppy food and will be for about another six months. But I have a friend that feeds her little little dog a teaspoon of yogurt in their food every day. She couldn’t tell me why she did it. Someone told her she should, so she is. (I didn’t say she was a very informed friend). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else had ever heard of that, if it would hurt the puppies…if it’s good for them or bad for them?

Yogurt (if a live culture) would have valuable probiotics. However, puppies generally cannot handle cow's milk or other dairy products. A small amount of yogurt like this is probably fine for most puppies, but on the other hand it may be too little to offer much in the way of probiotic benefit! Goat yogurt might suit puppy tummies better but still, only in small amounts. Important to note it should be plain, unsweetened yogurt and definitely not one that has xylitol as a sweetener, which is very dangerous to dogs (even a tiny amount can cause death in dogs, so always be very careful with sugarless gum, some peanut butters which have xylitol :( and anything really not specifically intended for dogs. There's good info here: https://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/healthy-foods-checklist-yogurt-dogs. Again, puppies tummies are more sensitive than adult dogs but if a puppy is fine with a little yogurt it's a good healthful addition.

Thanks Karlin. I think I’ll wait until she’s a bit older. I do make my own yogurt from non homogenized milk. Not sweetened until I eat it. So it should be fine for her when I do start giving it to her.

Back