• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Charlie McFarlie is 9 years old

Rosewoodsteel

Charlie McFarlie turned 9 in January.
He's had good health, so far, but it got me thinking about how long he will be with us and it got me a bit depressed.
We love him dearly and I'm hoping he will live a good, long life.
Sorry for posting this, but I just thought I'd reach out to my fellow Cavalier lovers.

I am sure I will need the same advice at some point, but healthy at 9 is great and just cherish every day! Love on that guy and a big virtual hug to you both!!!

Way to go Charlie...I am sure you don't act a day over 2 ;)
It is hard to think about endings as they all come sometimes don't they? It can be depressing, but you should feel so lucky to have him at 9 and healthy! What a gift he has given you :)

Congratulations to Charlie. Age is something we don't what to think about, and as BrooklynMom says we should rather think about the joys they are giving us at present :flwr:
Pictures of the birthday boy, are they coming up? ;)

We took on a wee rescue 2 years ago and Kaley is now 9. We lost our other Cav,Sonny, to MVD at 10 and although Kaley is in better health then Sonny was at 9 I do worry about Kaley. My only advice would be really appreciate every day you have with Charlie. I appreciate even wee small things we do with Kales and I just pray she'll be with us for a long time to come. Please post some pics of Charlie!!:)

Having a healthy 9 year old Cavalier is something to celebrate. I know it gets depressing sometimes when you think of how long you have them. Mine are 4 and 5 with MVD and SM. I enjoy every day I have with them.

I have a healthy 10 and 7 yr old and an 8 yr old with epilepsy and MVD. I try to enjoy them now and not worry about what the future will bring, though now and again I do tend to wonder how long more I will have them, I suppose it's hard not to as they get older, but just try to enjoy the here and now and build up those happy memories:)

Congratulations on getting Charlie to a healthy nine years! It's wonderful, and don't worry, treasure each day and take it as it comes. Happy Belated Birthday Charlie!

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words.
I'll get some new pictures of Charlie posted, as soon as I can.

Charlie has been slowing down the last year or two. When we do our walk down the street, he often stops (and doesn't want to contine) on our way back.
I often pick him up and carry him one or two houses, before putting him on the ground so we can continue the walk.
Also, especially when he gets up from sleeping, he has a noticable limp. I started him on a joint treatment, late last week, so I'm hoping he responds to the treatment. I believe it's Glucosamine (please pardon my spelling).
Otherwise, Charlie is doing fantastic. I figure in human years, he's around 59 to 63 years old (depending on how it is calculated), so I understand exactly what he is going through since I am in the same general age bracket :).

Thanks again for the support. I am enjoying the "here and now" with him and feel blessed to have such a wonderful dog. Cavaliers are the best!

Last edited:
Sorry it took so long to post a picture of Charlie McFarlie, but I've been working 7 days a week for 3 weeks now.
Here's a pic of Charlie this past Christmas. (Note: Charlie's eyes are very clear, they just came out this way with the flash.)
He's our sweet little 9 year old guy. -As kind and gentle as the day is long.

056.jpg

Charlie taking a stroll in the Winter of 2010..

Cnv0687.jpg

Last edited:
Happy Birthday Charlie!! What a beautiful boy.

I remember thinking the same thing when Misha turned 10. He will be 16 this year, so try not to worry too much. Give him extra hugs and kisses, and enjoy each and every day.

Slowing down can be a sign of pain. If his joints are sore, maybe ask the vet for something. You can also try adding 1-2g fish body oil (not cod liver) and 100IU Vitamin E a day to his food. The omega 3 fatty acids will help decrease inflammation and the E is necessary to protect the unsaturated fats in the fish oil. It must be used long term. Misha is on tramadol as rimadyl is too dangerous for old kidneys.

I've had Charlie McFarlie on Glucosimin (-10 sp) for around 4 weeks now. I'm hoping this will make his joints feel a little better. The funny thing is, when we do our walk, he is fine until we return up the street and he is at his buddy Bailey's house. We haven't seen her for a long while now, but she used to come out to meet Charlie when we walked past her home. I'm beginning to think that Charlie stops there, not because he is tired or sore, but because he misses Bailey. It's gotten so bad, I have to carry Charlie home sometimes..

hi
charlie you are absolutley beautiful and hope you have many more birthday's
sending you kisses and cuddles from louie and his mum

Charlie McFarlie passed away last night. Both Jody and I are heart broken. He was a wonderful little guy and gave us nothing but love and joy. He would have been 13 in less than a month, on January 3rd. I will be picking him up from the vet, tonight. This is the tough part of being a pet owner..

It's really tough. I'm so sorry about Charlie. My Lucky passed away last month. Mostly I am okay now, but there are still times when I break down in tears. {{Hugs}}

Remember and cherish your time with him. It's such an honor to be owned by a Cavalier and you gave Charlie a great life.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Charlie had a good long life and your memories of him will always keep him in your heart.

RIP sweet Charlie McFarlie. *ng*l

Back