• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

should a vet charge for writing a prescription?

emmawright

went off this morning to collect daisy prescription and i was told i had to pay for it! i thought that was a bit of a cheek as they only had to write it out on a piece of paper (as i send it off to a cheaper company online where i get it half price). should vets charge for writing prescriptions? i have seen online that they shouldn't and that it is illegal. just thought it was a bit naughty, it was only a couple of quid, but if they do that for everyone then that is quite a profit for them!

No, they shouldn't charge at all. I have a doctor who does this. If you ask for a script outside of your appointment they charge $10 for it. And they won't mail it either unless you've given them a self-addressed stamped envelope. I feel your pain, Emma. :mad:

Emma, just be sure the online pharmacy is UK regulated and reputable -- the majority of online pharmacies are totally unregulated and are known to sell counterfeit drugs that do not have the actual real drug ingredients in them -- they can even just be compressed powder. Especially any pharmacy that is based in Asia, the South Pacific or the Caribbean -- classic locations for pirate operations. This is why the drugs are so cheap. I'd be a bit concerned if the cost is actually half the normal prescription as that is a pretty low discount -- usually it is a lot less of a difference than that. So just make sure you are getting what you are paying for. There are numerous reputable UK online pharmacies and they should carry a professional seal. (y)

See: http://www.mhra.gov.uk/home/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=254

Doctors.

as you guys knoe my daughter ella has been sick alot and has been in hospitals at least 27 times the doctors here charge me for writing out a presciption at about 10 euros ago,i know its not the vets but it doesnt suprise me in the least,all i have ever heard here is that they train long anough so they charge for this,to date we have spent on ella about eight thousand euro.and she is only just turned 6.

Hi Emma,

Only just getting back online poperly but having spent 99% of my working life in pharmacies I can assure you that it is perfectly legal in the UK for a Doctor or Dentist to charge you for writing a private prescription. As Vets aren't covered by the NHS (shame ;)) they are also allowed to charge.

When you take that prescription to a chemist they also charge you again. I can't remember the way it is worked out now as it's been a while but it is something like cost of drugs + a nominal charge for dispensing + 17.5% VAT. It will all get written into a private prescription book and the hard copy (original prescription) is kept for about 5 years.

As Karlin has said, be very careful about where you get your drugs from. I personally am also very choosy about which chemists I use too....

I think that vets are allowed to charge an admin fee for writing the prescription.

There should be no charge made for a vet writing a prescrition, however some do charge an admin fee, heck my vet charges me for reading the swab test results for my girls when they are tested for "nasties" prior to being mated!! It is usually only about £1.10, they call it a "decipher" fee! Hmmm icon_nwunsure

If I called the vet and asked him to write a prescription only, I'd consider that a professional service and might expect to pay a fee. If I asked for the same prescription during an actual appointment where I was already paying an 'office visit' charge, I'd expect the prescription to be included in the office visit.

When we got Elvis, the breeder wanted a vet reference letter. Even though they didn't charge for it, I was certainly prepared to pay a fee. They're there trying to make a living, and little things like that add up.

KC

I am careful when buying daisys medicines, and i am sure i am buying them from reputable companies, to buy optimmune from my vet it is £50.00 for a small tube, i can buy it on pet meds for £25.00. This tube only lasts a month, so it is worth getting it online.
Daisy is on 5 different medicines for her eyes, tablets for her skin and gets several ear infections. so i really don't know how much money i have spent on daisy but it is a lot!

I thought through pet meds you could just give them your vet's information and they could contact them directly and have the script faxed over? Would this be a way to avoid the "writing fee" (which I find to be ridiculous, BTW.) Is the fee to pay for the ink or the extra work effort? :rolleyes:

It does work that way in the US at least Emma. Hopefully it does in England too. :)

You'd think as often as you have Daisy in there they could at least write a prescription for free ... :rolleyes:

Monica, it can't be for the ink because the vet never has his own ink pen and has to get one from his tech!!

I think it's wrong to charge a fee if it is a good client or a pet that has a chronic problem. I worked for a dr who squeezed pennies until they screamed and even he didn't charge to write a prescription!

Back