• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rescue Remedy...

anniemac

I have rescue remedy which I will give Elton before car rides or when he seems to have anxiety. Last night he kept me up digging, trying to play on the bed, and extremely hyper. This went on for hours.

I had enough and I feel bad because I drugged him. I gave him rescue remedy (the amount suggested and I normally give) and it seemed to work. I feel like one of those moms who give their children some cold medicine that makes them go to sleep.

Rescue Remedy is herbal and I've never heard anything bad about it. Was it ok that I did that? He obviously would not calm down and it went on until 4 am.

Now I'm so tired and the vet was fully booked and I have to be a walk in. They close at 12:00 so I hope he can see him for the other things.

Anne, it's sounding like a form of some anxiety. Maybe one of the vests would work.

But it's best to see the Vet to see if you can figure out what is going on. You have to sleep, don't feel bad!

Rescue Remedy is herbal and I've never heard anything bad about it. Was it ok that I did that? He obviously would not calm down and it went on until 4 am.

Anne,

I think it's fine for people to use Rescue Remedy, but I'm always amused at the thought of the "magical flowers." It is 50% brandy, so it's likely the alcohol that causes dogs to settle down. Just be sure not to give too much. Peach brandy would probably do the same thing!

"The remedies contain a very small amount of flower material (Rock Rose, Impatiens, Clematis, Star of Bethlehem, Cherry Plum.) in a 50:50 solution of water and brandy."

Pat

Anne,

I think it's fine for people to use Rescue Remedy, but I'm always amused at the thought of the "magical flowers." It is 50% brandy, so it's likely the alcohol that causes dogs to settle down. Just be sure not to give too much. Peach brandy would probably do the same thing!

"The remedies contain a very small amount of flower material (Rock Rose, Impatiens, Clematis, Star of Bethlehem, Cherry Plum.) in a 50:50 solution of water and brandy."

Pat

Ha ha! So I did "drug" him. I didn't give him but what it said and he did need it and it's not something I normally give. I asked the vet and he brought up the same thing about how these companies will say "herbal" and people think nothing is wrong. He had no problem with this but he mentioned one time there was some flea or heart prevention? That came from a flower that was very dangerous. Basically he said just because it say "herbal" doesn't mean it's ok.

He mentioned Blue Buffalo saying its food is hypoallergenic and how can they claim that? He mentioned they even had a food recall a year ago. I'm not saying anything but it is better to check than assume if it's herbal it's safe.

Back