• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Omeprazole dosage

Holly

Someone posted on another forum that she has to get a special prescription for Omeprazole in order to give her dog 10 mg/day and that it is VERY expensive. She said the neuro told her that the caplets you buy over-the-counter at the pharmacy can not be split. I have been splitting generic 20 mg Omeprazole caplets for the last two years, per the neuro's direction. It is very inexpensive.

Can anyone tell me about this?

I know what you are talking about b/c I'm on forum. I don't understand it either. You can even compound omeprazole also for cheaper?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something! I directed her to the CKCS-SM yahoo forum.

I used to split the 20mg Prilosec tablets until I decided to get it compounded by a pet pharmacy in order to get it covered by insurance. My neuro has no problems with it either way.

Mine are on 1/4 of a tablet daily. So that works out to 5 mg daily. Per our neurologist instructions we are cutting up the tablets. I have always wondered about it since the package says to take whole.... I have seen some improvements with it and I fully believe it is working as the neuro suggested.

Our neuro has us giving the name brand (Priolec OTC). I was wondering if the generic version would be okay too?

10mg daily??? I didn't think you could give that much as I was told 5mg is max by the neuro.

Does Omeprazole have any long term side effects?

Shannon,

Ella actually took 20mg? I don't know but maybe too much but that's what neuro said from beginning?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I thought 10 mg was pretty standard, though I could be wrong. We started Scarlett on 10 mg, but found it hard on her tummy as she was throwing up bile. The neuro had me do appx. 7 mg (we split the 20 mg in thirds) and she has been fine. I feel that it helps her, also. We do the generic as the ingredients are identical and it's a lot cheaper. If you buy it at Sam's or Costco (in the US), you can get it in bulk and it's much cheaper.

There was some debate a while back as to whether the Omeprazole had to be given separately from the Gabapentin on the Yahoo SM list, but I believe Karlin showed research where it was ok to give them together. That makes it easier for us because it's the difference of giving pills 3/day vs. 4/day.

So confusing:confused: but Ella was a bigger girl. Also some people talk about tagament etc. It varies so much for each dog. I think it's great to get information but use the information to ask the neurologist. Sometimes I found that things could get me more confused.

Back