• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vitamins

Linda

Is anyone giving Vitamins, I spoke with Monica Segal this morning and
she advised me to supplement Dudley with the a
Multi Mineral Complex Vitamin 3 times a week.

I was a bit concerned as he is devouring her food which is a blessing but
I don't think it has all the supplements in it.

Anyway I ordered the supplement and should get them in a few days.

I understand they are gel caps, do I just hide it in a piece of cheese or smother it in peanut butter.

Any hints on how to give it to him. It is only for Dudley not the wee lad
he is getting plenty from his puppy food and just a little flavouring on the
top with fruit and veggies.

Mine just eat gel caps when they are mixed in with their food if it is wet food. You can also put a gel cap in a bit of cream cheese or peanut butter or chicken and it will likely go right down. Mine get fish oil in gel caps mixed into their food bowl and they are always gone. :p

karlin said:
Mine just eat gel caps when they are mixed in with their food if it is wet food. You can also put a gel cap in a bit of cream cheese or peanut butter or chicken and it will likely go right down. Mine get fish oil in gel caps mixed into their food bowl and they are always gone. :p

Karlin

Can I ask why you are giving your guys Fish Oil Gel Caps and what kind.
Monica did say that I did not have to give Dudley Fish Oil providing he
is having Fish at least once a week.
I am still so busy that I had to re-stock with her food, and worry that
because it is like homemade food it does not have the nutrients he may need.
I never thought of cream cheese, don't think I have ever given him any
but worth a try. I know he loves peanut butter.

I always thought peanuts were bad for dogs. How come you give them peanut butter which is made from peanuts.!?? :?

My guys take any pills with pb. They get just a little dab on the end of my finger wtih the pill hidden in it. I have to remind Shelby that my finger isn't part of the treat...she tries to gnaw the tip of my finger ;)

I've never heard that peanuts are bad for dogs and they aren't included on the list of toxic foods I have in the Library section. Mine love them -- and lots of dog treats have peanut butter in them, at least the US ones. :lol: The only issue I think would be that it is very high in fat so I wouldn't give a lot of a fatty food. But I put a bit it in kongs for example to hold everything together.

I give 550mg fish oil caps every now and then.

i do a lot of shopping from Dr. Foster/Smith.com and when the came out wit a new mulitvitamin/mineral supplement i got it to try on King....they make 5 different ones: Puppy, Small/Toy Breed, Adult, Senior, and Senior Plus....their liver/bacon flavored and King goes nuts 4 them he gets 3 tablets daily (split morning/night) and i can say after being on them 4 only a few days i noticed a big difference... he's more lively, not a lazy as b4 (but nuttin worng wit being lazy... :lol: ) plus i kno thats he's getting all the nutrition he needs not only from his food but from the tablets as well.... http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/NavResults.cfm?N=2001+113388

So pleased to hear that my precious little boy Dudley may get some
more energy and sleep less.

Especially with this gorgeous weather, don't you just love being outside
with them.

Peanut butter is great for covering antibiotics, worming tabs, and all things doggies hate taking :yuk: I sometimes stuff caps, tablets into a little piece of frankfurter aswell, and they never get spat out!!! On another note, my cav is around the same age as Dudley, and I know he too would be VERY put out if I got another :shock: ! I think its great the way he is now starting to come around to Darby, I would LOVE to get another, (a little ruby female), but worry a bit about what would happen, but on reading your updates, I think I def. will consider getting another. Love to hear about how they are getting on together!! They are 2 lovely little boys!!:p

Gillian said:
I always thought peanuts were bad for dogs. How come you give them peanut butter which is made from peanuts.!?? :?

There are some nuts that aren't good for dogs- but peanuts are actually part of the legume family. There are a number of dog biscuits made with peanuts. FWIW Sandy

amanda L said:
Peanut butter is great for covering antibiotics, worming tabs, and all things doggies hate taking :yuk: I sometimes stuff caps, tablets into a little piece of frankfurter aswell, and they never get spat out!!! On another note, my cav is around the same age as Dudley, and I know he too would be VERY put out if I got another :shock: ! I think its great the way he is now starting to come around to Darby, I would LOVE to get another, (a little ruby female), but worry a bit about what would happen, but on reading your updates, I think I def. will consider getting another. Love to hear about how they are getting on together!! They are 2 lovely little boys!!:p

Hi Amanda

Thank you, I do usually use Peanut Buter for the Sentinel Pills as that
is all Dudley has ever had to take.
Bought some light cream cheese today, so when I get his Vitamins I will
stick some Peanut Butter on it.

Also Thank you for your comments on how they are getting on, Dudley
was spoiled rotten more by my hubby. He definetely is making progress
every day, I actually got some pictures of them together and will post
them later today. I also felt the same way as you, and was still worried
after I committed to taking Darby. I would not change a thing, I just
love him to pieces he is full of personality.
Smart as a whip too, next one will be a B/T but that will not be until I
retire or win the lottery.
3 Human Kids, 5 Daycare Kids and 2 Dogs. Oh and I almost forgot
one Husband :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes
My kids are still all under 15 so I have a ways to go.

Gillian said:

Gillian, I think this may be whole peanuts as there is a danger of choking from them - like with small children.

Lulu, I do give a multivitamin supplement, one from www.healthspan.co.uk, esp for Rupert due to his age, as they don't digest things as well, also for TedBear as he doesn't always eat very well. I think with a homeprepared diet it is a good idea, just to make sure they are not missing something.

As you know I'm a big fan of Monica Segal and do think she knows what she is talking about, so would believe what she says, she's not just trying to sell you something - as you can see from what she said about the fish.

I got a bag of Missing Link but haven't started giving it to Zack yet. I am going to start giving it to him tonight. It's a multivitamin multimineral supplement in powdered form, which is sprinkled on their regular food. I will see what Zack thinks of the taste of it.

Here's a link to the company that makes it
http://www.designinghealth.com/products/canine_products_main.html

if you scroll down, they list the food ingredients in it, and then if you follow the links, they go on for several pages, giving a lot of detail about the nutrients, vitamins and minerals, in each food ingredient. you click on where it says "see our glossary for specific information."

Judy, that Missing Link is supposed to be brilliant, many of the holisitic vets recommend it

Forgot to mention re the peanut butter...TedBear will only have the CRUNCHY variety, spits it out if it's the smooth one :yuk:
:lol: :lol: :lol: not really spoilt then!!

thanks for that feedback nicki

i sprinkled a little bit on zack's dinner last night. i cant' say for sure if it's the missing link that he likes the taste of, or if it's because yesterday i decided to give him some canadae kibble, he has had merricks grammys pot pie kibble for a few weeks exclusively and i think he was bored with it, so i poured some canidaes in his bowl on top of a llittle bit of uneaten merricks that had been sitting there, and he wolfed down the cadidae (leaving the merricks). so later at his evening feeding, i put more canidae in the bowl and he started chomping on it immediately. I then sprinkled on a bit of missing link, and when he went for the food, he noticed a difference because he stopped and sniffed it for moment. Then he went back to chomping it down hungrily, and he finished the whole bowl. Some of the missing link powder had gone to the bottom of the bowl, and he licked all of that off, so i would say zack's verdict is that missing link tastes fine.

because of the high quality nutrients in it and the powdered form that tastes good, i can recommend it, especially if giving pills is a hassle for anyone.

i'm planning to get missing link for my cat. There is a missing link Plus which has stuff for joint health, like glucosamine, and omega 3 and 6 EFAs, but apparently they don't make that for cats, only for dogs. i wonder why.

the vitamin tablets i give King from Dr. Foster/Smith work so well....the smell draws him to his bowl bout twice as fast as his normal food....normally he walks over to wait, but wit the tablets he runs and sits impatiencently... :lol: dancin wit in sit position...looks so funny.

We'll I got Dudley's vitamins in the mail today and they are huge.
I just gave him one, as once again he is holding out.
I had to hold his mouth together until I was sure he swallowed it as he
was licking all the peanut butter of it and the pill was popping out.

Monica said to give these 3 times a week, but he is not eating again.

No Nicki Frank has not given him anything.
At least I have one eating machine, funny thing though he will eat Darby's food.
He is eating Innova, was thinking of maybe switching his kibble to the
Adult Innova Kibble mixed with Monica's food.

This boy is driving me round the bend, although I have not let on.

that reminds me of karlin saying getting a second dog cured any hesitance about eating. the psychological cure, the power of territoriality, possessiveness and jealousy. maybe dudley can be motivated to eat by allowing him to think he is getting away with something by eating Darby's food.

i feel for you Linda.

judy said:
that reminds me of karlin saying getting a second dog cured any hesitance about eating. the psychological cure, the power of territoriality, possessiveness and jealousy. maybe dudley can be motivated to eat by allowing him to think he is getting away with something by eating Darby's food.

i feel for you Linda.

Thanks Judy

I honestly thought introducing Darby would of been easier, I am sure it
will get better. But Dudley has manipulated us from the beginning, I have
had enough food in this house to open a Pet Store at times.

I worry that he is not getting the nutrients required when he plays these
games. You would think he would be falling down the drain by now. :yikes

If I do go get the Innova Adult food to mix with Monica Segals it will be the
last time.

Do you all think I should give him one a day until he stops these games
as he does not have much energy.
He is drinking though.

i think it seems things will only get worse the way things are going, and he leaves no choice but to let him go without eating until he becomes ravenous enough to eat whatever simple choice of food you give him, but that seems easier said than done with a second dog around. yet maybe that will actually make it easier because everyone else will be eating except for him.

i don't have any expertise to say this is the right thing to do, i'm a newbie at this. i know that when i was trying so many different foods, trying to find something zack would eat, things were not improving, and were possibly getting worse, as far as him not eating much, and the stress i probably conveyed to him about it.

so there was really nothing to lose in just picking out one brand of kibble and giving it to him, and leaving it up to him to eat it or not eat it, knowing i'd done my part, just by providing edible nutritious dog food. i had some faith that he would get hungry enough to eat it eventually.

as it is, he did eat it, from the beginning, though still not eagerly, and i think if i follow karlin's suggestion and pick up the bowl and put it away after 15 minutes until the next feeding, he will come around even better, but although he's not thrilled with his food, he does eat plenty of it every day with numerous large poops to show for it, so i'm cool. i'm lucky i haven't had to deal with the worry of him refusing to eat for days. Knock on wood. As you said, it has to be a matter of pulling out of the game, because it does turn into a game, my move, your move, checkmate.

Is Dudley's weight OK, or is he getting too thin?

What does monica say? She's so experienced with food issues. What does she advise, if he stops eating what she has prepared?

Back