• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What chewy treats are good for dogs?

Sharon

I am trying to find a healthy treat for Wrigley to chew. I have tried him with small marrow bones, but he is scared of them! He does like the little rawhide bones. His mouth is very small and I have found a perfect size one for him which he loves, but my husband says they are not really good for dogs. What else can I give him to chew as a tastey, healthy treat?

I have heard that its better to give compressed rawhide treats because sometimes if a dog bites off a big piece of rawhide it can cause an obstruction because it is difficult for them to digest. The compressed rawhide is small pieces stuck together so it supposedly lessens that risk. I am always a bit cautious with the rawhide and only give it to Oliver when I am there just in case. Has anyone else heard this?

Bully sticks are a big hit. And also Sam's Yams and Sam's Bichon Fries. They are healthy and take a while to chew. Dog.com has them discounted and offers free shipping.

I second bully sticks; my dogs go nuts for them. Beware though, they smell like a**!! :confused: Hold off on kisses until after you brush their teeth :eek: ;)

You can't go wrong with a stuffed kong either!!

I've never tried him on the bully sticks. Can you only buy them online, or can you get them at a regular Petsmart? I need to go there this week and return his RC food. Do they come in a pack and are they mega bucks?!

You can buy them individually, or as a pack. Like someone mentioned before, Dog.com sells them discounted. I would try him on one and see how he does (they gives my Cody the runs, but then again...so does everything else.:rolleyes: 3 out of my 4 dogs do great!)

I believe at Petco/ petsmart they are 3 for $10, but one will last him a long time ;)

I just bought Oliver his first bully stick after reading about them here. He LOVES it!! And I feel much more at ease about giving him that than rawhide because it says it's fully digestible!

I've never tried him on the bully sticks. Can you only buy them online, or can you get them at a regular Petsmart? I need to go there this week and return his RC food. Do they come in a pack and are they mega bucks?!

Be careful with your bully stick sources.. be sure you know where they come from. The links I posted for KnineKountry and Bullysticksonline have excellent products. Some things from the discount pet stores come from overseas and iffy suppliers. The larger the quantity purchased the less the cost. I have four dogs and I buy a minimum of 100 at a time. I keep them in the freezer so they stay fresh, and that also cuts down on the smell.

Exactly... I also love bully sticks, but beware of the source.
OK... just re-read that (& it sounds really bad ;)).... Darby loves bully sticks, not me! :lpy::grnyuk::yuk:
Also, some of them smell way worse than others!

I will also vouch for Sam's Yams Sweet Potato treats!!! Darby goes ballistic for those!! It takes her a while to get through one, plus they're healthy! (100% sweet potato)

I've seen a lot of references to bully sticks on here, but I did not realize what they were made of until I went to one of the websites that sell them.

I think I would have a problem giving my dog a bull's penis to chew on. Maybe it's just because I'm a guy. ;)

Dave

EEEEWWW!!!! I did not know that...when I read the ingredients it said muscles, I thought...I didn't know that was what they were referring to!!! Gross!!!!

I just looked it up, too..this is what one site said...

"This beef tendon is a delicious, long lasting chew", but another site came right out and it was a bull's penis! I'm not sure I will be giving those to Oliver! :)

:lol: You guys are halarious!! I love going into pet stores and pretending that I don't know what they are, just to make the employees feel akward when they say it :D :D :D . It's especially fun when they are older ladies ;) I know....I'm awful.

Exactly... I also love bully sticks, but beware of the source.
OK... just re-read that (& it sounds really bad ;)).... Darby loves bully sticks, not me! :lpy::grnyuk::yuk:
Also, some of them smell way worse than others! "

Ok...now I that I know what I know, Darby's mom's post is pretty funny...:)

I still can't believe that I fed my dog a bull's you-know-what and nobody told me!! :)

Back