• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Annual Exam & Vacs

Moviedust

I know we've discussed several times the vaccination protocols. There are also several other websites and boards with information regarding the new studies that show that over-vaccinating dogs can be harmful.

The topic comes up for me again because I recently got my postcards from my vet reminding me of my dogs' annual exams. Knowing what we've discussed, I'm concerned about the "treatments" listed as needed for each dog.

Although I've done searches online and in our threads, I'm still confused over what should be done annually and what each of the tests listed is for.

For example, Holly is listed as needing a rabies booster, DA2PL-CP, and a heartworm check. I know that she probably needs the booster (even though she'll be 2, it'll be her one year booster b/c she didn't have the vac til a year old). Once she has the booster, she'll be on a 3 year standard schedule with my vet for her rabies vacs.

I am not sure what the DA2PL-CP is, though. From what I can find/understand on the internet, its a combo vac for several different diseases. My girls have had this vac every year since I've had them. I can ask my vet, of course, when we go in on Fri for our appt, but I'd also like the opinions of those on the board with experience and knowledge of these vacs.

Willow has a bordetella vac listed for her, but we probably won't have that. We don't board the girls, and the only reason it shows up for Willow is b/c she had it when she came to me via Lucky Star.

Also listed as "treatment" for my girls is a heartworm check, which is important where we live as we are a high risk area (lots of mosquitoes).

So all three girls will have heart worm check and annual physical exam.
Holly will add a rabies booster, and I think Cedar is also due a rabies booster (she's three this summer).

The only thing that seems to concern me is the DA2P-CP. What is it? Do my girls need it?

That is the standard combination shot, and, sadly, many vets STILL recommend giving it yearly. The vets that stay up with current recommendations and protocals are all going to a 3 year schedule on that shot as well. Personally, I don't give ANY vaccinations other then rabies unless there's a need - I do a titer testing to see if they have antibodies against the disease, if they do, the vaccines can do more harm then good.

Personally, I don't give ANY vaccinations other then rabies unless there's a need - I do a titer testing to see if they have antibodies against the disease, if they do, the vaccines can do more harm then good.
I agree. My boys both had a single parvo and a single distemper vaccine when they were 14 and 17 weeks old. They had/will have their rabies vaccine at 9 months. I don't like boosters because if your dog has a reaction you don't know which vaccine caused it. I will have them titered for parvo and distemper every year, and may give rabies again in the future, but probably not for at least 7 years. I don't give bordatella because I will not board them. My regular vet doesn't agree with the way I vaccinate them, I base their vaccines on the recomendations of my homeopath vet. Everyone is comfortable with something different, and it's a personal decision; you have to do what you think is best for your dogs.

Carrie, don't you have a legal obligation to keep them vaccinated against rabies more frequently than 7 years? Generally this is a serious public health issue and the best recommendation is currently three years for areas where that is acceptable (many places in the US require annual vaccination anyway). Three years is the Dr Dodds recommendation. I know she is working through the Challenge Fund to try and prove they last for 7 years plus, but her recommendation nonetheless remains a three year vaccine. I hope they get some good results as an annual vaccine seems really crazy. We are lucky over here not to need rabies at all.

I give that combined vax every three years and not at all after age 7-8 or so.

I wish there were greater consensus with vets as you do have to be the one asking/telling that they do a 3 year schedule otherwise they;d automatically do it annually. I haven't vaccinated my cats in years as they are all indoor cats and are never boarded.

Carrie, don't you have a legal obligation to keep them vaccinated against rabies more frequently than 7 years?

Our city ordinance is they have to be vaccinated against rabies every three years. But....I chose not to re-vaccinate Shelby this year. I sent my check to the city to renew her license, got a letter stating they needed updated proof of rabies....but they cashed my check. As far as I'm concerned, we are licensed if they cashed my check. I won't give either of mine another rabies vaccine as I feel good that they have immunity from previous vaccinations.

Carrie, don't you have a legal obligation to keep them vaccinated against rabies more frequently than 7 years?

I make decisions on how my animals are vaccinated based on what I believe is best for their health, not based on a city ordinance. Our cats had shots (including rabies) when they were young, and they will not receive any more. I'm sure this is violating some kind of law, but they are indoor cats and I don't feel there is a need to vaccinate them again. I will not inject them with potentially harmful vaccines just to satisfy a city ordinance. Miles is only 1 and Truman is only 6 months old, so I have a few years to decide if and when to vaccinate them again.

I realize that some vets, including mine, are comfortable with the 3 year rabies vaccine schedule, but I will probably have them titred at the 3 year mark and every year after that to see if they're protected, then only vaccinate if necessary. I realize that there is a risk by not following the recommended vaccine schedule, but I also feel like it may be an even bigger risk to follow it. It's a personal decision and I believe that everyone makes their decision based on what they believe is best for their pets :)

Back