• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Matt in her tail

shippers

I have noticed that Sally has a matt towards the base of her tail. Has anyone ever had this and how did they get it out without hurting their cav? I was hoping to groom them myself soon before their next appointment at the groomers just before Christmas. I have difficulty brushing Sally's tail because she hates it so much this is why this matt has appeared. I think an early trip to the groomer might be in order.

If the matting is really huge and can't be combed out, I just cut it out with scissors. That's what the groomer will do, most likely. You can do it for free, yourself, at home.

Tail problems.....

I would get a fine pair of scissors and cut the length of the matt, going with the hair.

Then comb until all comes out ?

Consider using JOHNSONS detangling spray for children. Not used it myself but apparently it does the job well.

Use sedative (like for fireworks) to make dog more relaxed.

Good luck,

Mark.

I also cut out mats that are too large or if Abigail starts to complain.

Every evening I brush and comb her (as she is sleepy after eating). Did the same yesterday; took her to vet today for her annual checkup and didn't the vet find a small tangle on her side:eek:

Heather R

And don't forget the treat afterwards! My dogs all know that when I get the brush out that treats are sure to follow. Some matts just can't be combed or brushed out, but if you try to cut it like Mark suggested (with the fur not against it) it leaves a less abrupt and jagged line. My groomer also suggests wetting the tail before brushing.

Mine all hate brushing in that are bu I hold them gently and find they wriggle for a while then eventually just relax. Giving treats throughout the process can help (esp. if you have a helper). I use a slicker brush and brush the length of the mat then at about a 30 degree angle then the length, then the angle and this generally works it out. Hold the base of the mat too of course so it doesn't pull. Lucy in particular is prone to tangles at that location.

Yesterday evening I spent some time working on Sally's tail to get the matt out. Mark the Johnsons detangling spray was excellent her tail was so much easier to brush. I did have to cut most of the matt out but at least its gone. So this weekend I am going to bath and groom them myself so they smell nice and fresh. I really advise others to use the spray it really does work.

Back