• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Jet Set Cavalier

DanielleJ

I am traveling to Florida with my dog in a week, and I am wondering if anyone could offer advice on flying with a Cavalier (I've made a reservation on Delta for her to go under the seat).
Also, is there anything I should be aware of health wise while I'm in Florida? Lilly is not used to the heat, and I'm concerned about fleas, as well. Any advice on Cavaliers in the South?

Thank you!

Last edited:
testing!
Got bumped off ? after going to _Preview_ a long reply to to the jet set Cavalier post .....so this is a test.....

Okay! Danielle, I flew many times to Florida with My Little Dickens in a Sherpa under the seat, via Delta, just as you are doing (out of GEG/Spokane). He was good as gold, as usual. I had to have a certificate from the vet declaring him fit to fly (healthy) going down and on return leg. Dickens didn't get a meal before the trip, had only a little water and emptied his bladder as many times as I could get him outside the building before the flight. On long layovers, I was able to take him outside to go wee. This was before Nine/Eleven 9/11.

Onboard the aircraft, I learned to ask for the aisle seat as it allowed for my dog to have more air circulation than the window seat, esp. on a 737. I removed all "bedding" also. When iced beverages were served, I gave the little Dickens ice, to ease his thirst.

In Florida, dogs are susceptible to HEART WORM (from fleas?). Dickens took meds for that. Ask your Vet about the heart worm med and how soon before leaving to give it.

I hope you have a wonderful journey with your Cavalier. It will be grand to have him/her with you. There will be others on here to give you more up-to-date advice. Maybe a note in General Discussion pointing them to your post here?

Dorothy
Mom to Omlette; & The Little Dickens at Rainbow Bridge

Hi Danielle,

Welcome to another fellow Washingtonian! I am planning on bringing my girl, Faith, back with me this June for a few weeks.

I picked her up from AR and flew back to Toronto with her in January so she's well travelled to say the least. :)

Advice for travelling - I bought a "dog waterbottle" from Wal mart. It had a round thing at the top and I put it upside down and Faith licked the ball and got to drink from it during our layover. I thnk I also let her drink a bit before the plane took off.

I would get your little baby as tired as possible before the flight and then you shoul dhave no problems at all. :) To be safe you might wnt to bring along a bully stick or a booda bone to keep her busy as she's going.

As far as the heat I think she will be OK just take it slow. Being in Seattle you should be getting ready for Flea season about right now anyways? If I were you I would probably give her front line or whatever you use (your vet will be able to advise on this) because I think fleas are active most if not all of the year in Florida.

Om's mom mentions heart worm - they are from those pesky mosquitoes. I know we have them up here in Toronto and my crew is on advantage multi because of it. I think you need a health certificate in order to fly so during that visit to the vet I would ask him/her all of these questions about fleas and such and they should be able to advise you. Take care and I would love to hear how the journey went! :dogwlk:

Back