• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Tummy advice

weeble

Hi there, fairly new to this forum but am really hoping someone can give me some advice please. My Cavalier is just over 1 and seems to be having bouts of constant upset tummy. We keep going to the vets and getting antibiotics and the Hills science prescription diet wet food, she gets this cleared up and within a week we start all over again with it. we usually feed her on hills science complete vet experience dry food which the vet says is fine for her. Does anyone else have this problem or can any of you more experienced Cav owners give me some advice please? I don't like my little girl feeling poorly.

thank you

Hi, we have found that 2 of our dogs seem to be sensitive to grains (including rice) - resulting in upset tummies approximately once every six weeks. They showed improvement when fed a grain-free dry food; but what has made the most difference is switching to a raw diet. Since then, we have had NO upset tummies! I know raw isn't for everyone, but that's my experience :)

Hi, we have found that 2 of our dogs seem to be sensitive to grains (including rice) - resulting in upset tummies approximately once every six weeks. They showed improvement when fed a grain-free dry food; but what has made the most difference is switching to a raw diet. Since then, we have had NO upset tummies! I know raw isn't for everyone, but that's my experience :)

This was exactly our results. Jake had constant tummy issues and once we started on raw, we've had no more problems. I started Micah on it right away at 11 weeks and he's been good to go ever since.

This was exactly our results. Jake had constant tummy issues and once we started on raw, we've had no more problems. I started Micah on it right away at 11 weeks and he's been good to go ever since.

Can you please advise me what you mean by raw?

My Rylie seems to have tummy issues. Right now I have put him back on Royal Canin Gastro food. I don't like it much but it agrees with him so I'm going to leave him on it for at least a month to give his tummy a chance to settle. Unlike the others, Rylie's tummy issues first appeared when I tried to feed him raw. I have decided that he can't have beef in either raw or cooked form. Probiotics can help I think but I have a nutritionist friend who recommends not giving them until the tummy has been good for a couple of months. I tried Rylie on a probiotic the other day and he was pooping liquid by the end of the day. I checked the package (which I should have done BEFORE giving it to him but I did get it from the vet and there was animal digest - I'm guessing beef by his reaction). I think with sensitive tummy dogs when you find something that works stick with it. I'm hoping to get Rylie off the gastro food because it's pretty high in grains and low in protein and fat - although I do think he can't have too much fat in his diet either.

I have been feeding Guinness raw ever since he had loose stools that the vet couldn't fix. He's done really well on it. I am feeding The Honest Kitchen Preference, which is fruits and veggies (grain and gluten free), then I add cooked ground turkey to complete the meal. I don't like feeding raw meats, so this is a good option for me.

thankyou

thank you for your help with this, I certainly have food for thought, lol. I don't think I can bring myself to give raw food (just incase my cat or my little boy picks it up) but I am going hunting for a vegetable based diet. James wellbeloved do one that is vegetable and fish or vegetable and turkey with no grains, rice or gluten so I might try that and see how she goes. I really hate my little girl being ill.

Has anyone any experience with the James Wellbeloved?

Last edited:
Polly has always had a very sensitive tummy as well and like others, once we switched to raw, no more problems! My cats love it too :) We do Natures Variety Raw, I've also tried Primal. We love it! I also add a probiotic to Polly's food to help with healthy digestion.

It does sound like it might be something in the food that disagrees with her.

Really you need to do an exclusion diet over 8 weeks under a vet's supervision. No treats or anything else at all to really rule out an allergy.

James Wellbeloved is very good but some Cavaliers don't like it!! Burns and Fish4dogs are also good.

Mine are now on some raw and some Markus Muehle which was the best kibble I could find.

http://www.markus-muehle.de/en/

Back