• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Brookys ear trim

BrooklynMom

Hey all!
So Brooky went to her regular groomer today, and for some crazy reason, they trimmed her ears! Like the tips of them. It is so weird after going there so long that they would do this...its not much though, but now her ears are blunted on the bottom if that makes sense (like a straight cut across the bottom). I am so sad about it because I love her ears :(

But my question is...will it grow back to normal? How it used to be? Again, they didnt take off a ton, it is just now that it is blunted. Hummmm....anyone know?

Dylan's ears were looking ratty a while ago and I reluctantly trimmed them but he looked kind of cute. It all grew back fine and it didn't take long so don't worry.

Lol. Oh no... Brooky got what i call "the 5 year old bowl-cut" :)
It looks like that bad haircut mom gave you when you were 5.
It will grow back! It happened to us too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness' ears get scraggly at the bottom, I give him a rounded cut at the bottom. I prefer it over his unkempt look. It grows back quickly, probably within a month he's 100% back.

Ha ha Lynn! It is a bowl cut! I am laughing out loud.

Thanks everyone ;) it is obviously just vanity, but I do like them either natural or rounded. I never though about a "rounded" cut to the bottom either. Good idea. Next time i am in I will ask her to just maybe round it off til it grows back ;) because I don't mind the length at all, just the blunt "bowl cut" (still laughing).

Sounds like what we used to call, as children, The Prince Valiant hair cut. (it was a comic strip in the newspaper back in the 1950s or 1960s)

You can tAke a small scissors and reshape them a bit yourself if you aren't too nervous! You basically take the approach you would with thinning the base of a haircut if you've ever had this done-- have the scissors pointing upwards the length, not width, of the ears and snip into them gently at a very slight (minute! like 2 degrees) angle. I use my fingers to hold the base of the ear and prevent the scissors from coming in contact with the actual ear. If you snip into the length this way every half inch or so it will get rid of the blunt cut look. You can also use a thinning scissors -- a great minor investment for any cavalier owner as you simply cannot mess up a dog with them without really trying hard to do so. Lily has a very messy coat and I just trim her all over with the thinning shears and she looks really nice. I cannot afford a groomer for four dogs. :lol:

There are various instructions on the web and YouTube on trimming a dog.

I would be sure the groomers know you are really unhappy about this new version as it is WRONG for the breed standard and should never ever have been done without your full permission in advance. Groomers seem so clueless about how to properly groom cavaliers --- any trimming at all should ONLY be done with owner advance approval as this is not breed standard grooming. Too m,any think they are grooming a cocker. :sl*p:

Thinning scissors are really useful, not expensive, and not difficult to use. I use them to trim Aled's ears, which grow very long and heavy and he doesn't like getting a mouthful when he picks up his dumbell! I also trim the long cottony fur that grows along his thighs and looks awful.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Karlin's suggestion is a good idea, but I would be afraid, especially since my two are wriggly. I always have my groomer trim Bobby and Belle's, just because they get so scraggly and they get those knotty lumps. Yet, she must blunt cut them because when they start to grow again, they get very much like a 'Bob', if you know what I'm saying. They do grow back quite quick anyway!

Thanks for all the advice everyone!! I will tell the groomer that it happened just so she knows not to do it again. Strange after all this time it suddenly happened...oh well, there are worse things out there and thankfully she didnt take much off. I will try the tips to ease up that blunt a a bit.
I am also going to get some thinning scissors, that sounds like a great investment!

I actually like it when the ears are trimmed. Years ago I trimmed my Cocker's ears to a medium length, rounded on the bottom. It makes them look more puppy like, which I think is adorable!

Back